Tesla destination chargers in Europe- can I use them?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jonathan in France, Jan 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jonathan in France

Jonathan in France New Member

Very happy to join fellow Kona Electric owners on this forum. Have already discovered much useful information. Thanks!

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. But can anyone give me a definitive answer to this question:

Can I charge my Kona E on a Tesla destination charger?

I phoned the Ibis hotel in Bourges, France which has a bank of destination chargers, and they told me they were Tesla only.

Yet elsewhere I hear differently.

I know that Tesla Superchargers are not compatible with the Kona, but it would be tremendous if I could recharge overnight on road trips.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

I think the ones with red signs are for any Type 2, white signs are Tesla only, or it may be the other way round.
    Apparently if you can get the cover off and flip a DIP switch, this selects Tesla-only or standard mode....

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

There is an adapter from Tesla Destination to J1772 (Teslatap) and there is another adapter from J1772 to Mennekes.. I would think that if you use both adapters, it should work to charge the Kona..
    Tesla to J1772
    https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla-Charger-J1772-Adapter/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=tesla+j1772+adapter&qid=1580323426&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFRM1BNNzVDQVhNOVAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5NDY0MzMzS1dSVDFCOUEyOVhYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNDMyNjUyWjVGOENCMk1RT0FVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

J1772 to Mennekes
    https://www.evseadapters.com/products/european-us-type-2-iec-mennekes-to-type-1-j1772-ev-adapter/

So, you are looking at around US$350 for both + shipping.. Shipping may be pricey to Europe.

5. Jonathan in France

Thanks for your reply. This connector is not used in Europe, as far as I know. I think all Teslas here use a standard CCS type 2, the same as the Kona.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Jonathan in France

8. Jonathan in France

That’s interesting!

9. Jonathan in France

10. Jonathan in France

Not sure I fancy taking off the cover off somebody else’s equipment!

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Europe indeed uses CCS2 for DC Fast charging.
    Tesla Deatination chargers are not DC. They are regular AC chargers. Not sure if Tesla Destination chargers are the same in Europe as they are in the US. The upper part of the CCS2 is the same as the Mennekes Type 2 AC connector.
    I wonder if Teslas in Europe use CCS2 if Tesla 2 Superchargers are also CCS2 or the same Teala connector as in the US?