Tesla Autonomous Miles Driven in 2017: 0 (in California)

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by WadeTyhon, Jan 31, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Personally, FSD will not be a deciding factor in any future vehicle purchase. I won't be adding it to my Model 3. (I don't even care about lane keep or ACC! Guess that's why I bought a Bolt without hesitation. ;) )

But I know a lot of people do, and I do think it is an interesting and exciting technology. I will for sure be trying out the programs from Waymo and GM if they come to my area soon. But as I've said before, I think it's gonna be a while before Tesla launches anything.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/f965670d-6c03-46a9-9109-0c187adebbf2/Tesla.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

"For Reporting Year 2017, Tesla did not test any vehicles on public roads in California in autonomous mode, as defined by California law. As such, the Company did not experience any autonomous mode disengagements as part of the Autonomous Vehicle Tester Program in California."

People have already paid for FSD on their Teslas... it would be nice to have an update of some kind! Hopefully they have something surprising to show soon!

While it is possible that they have been testing elsewhere, I'm guessing tests haven't been promising or we would have learned something by now. Instead, the letter to California regulators focused on computer simulations and shadow mode monitoring of driver habits.

"Tesla is able to use billions of miles of real-world driving data to develop its autonomous technology. In “shadow mode,” features run in the background without actuating vehicle controls in order to provide data on how the features would perform in real world and real time conditions. This data allows Tesla to safely compare self-driving features not only to our existing Autopilot advanced driver assistance system, but also to how drivers actually drive in a wide variety of road conditions and situations. "

Why not gather data in shadow mode while also testing your autonomous system on actual roads in real life driving conditions? Humans are terrible drivers and autopilot is currently quite limited. Those two things aren't gonna cut it lol! :p Although I do think all of this data gathering will be useful in the future.

And no potential Model 3 or Model S/X buyer should look at full-self driving as the 'be all end all' of automotive technology. Even though there are some great fleet services on the way from other companies, no vehicle for sale to the public anywhere has self driving available as an option.

So in other words: set your expectations low for a self driving Tesla. But don't let that change your mind about buying one of the best 3 EVs on the market. :)

Just my opinion at least. Would love to know what others expect from Tesla on the FSD front in the next few years. Do you think Tesla will have to crawl back to Lidar? Or do you think they'll actually be able to pull it off with the hardware in the current Model 3s?

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tesla8

tesla8 New Member

Wow I did not expect this...

4. JyChevyVolt

JyChevyVolt Active Member

ACC and lane keep assist is important but not $6000 important.

That 2016 FSD demo was a complete fraud. TSLA was getting killed, solar City bail out, Mobileye breakup, model s sales down from year before. Elon had to do something.

5. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

I was already a pessimist on Tesla’s FSD prospects... but even I was surprised that they didn’t test in California at all...

I agree that demo was for marketing purposes only, although ‘fraud’ is a stretch. It was the ‘concept car’ for FSD lol.

Most likely it functioned... on that pre-determined route. But the demonstration was hacked together to demonstrate what their goals were. It was not a truly functional autonomous drive.