Support points for lift jack pads

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Maple, Oct 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Maple

Maple Member

I am planning to put winter tires on my Kona. When I looked at the underneath of the car, it is hard to find where to put the jack pads. Checked online there was a thread
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/jacking-instructions-for-tire-rotation-changing.7410/
    talking about where to put jack pads. It says put jack pads on the pinch between two notches. I checked my Kona and found the pinch is so thin and looks very weak (see my picture). I know EV is much heavier than ICE car I am worry if it can support the car. I don’t want damage anything. Any one has the experience? Thanks IMG_2357.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I changed my wheels using the recess you've photographed, not the ridge. You'd need a jack with something that would fit into that space. I used a plastic-dipped floor jack adapter for a number of Mercedes-Benz models.
    IMG_0008.jpeg

4. The flange is designed for the scissor jacks that have a slot in the saddle as noted in the thread you've referred to. Plenty of owners have raised their cars right on the seam between the notches with a variety of jacks and no issues have been reported. I use a floor jack with some silicone rubber as a cushion.
    The Kona EV lifts easily with this small jack, although I use one at each end to lift evenly.
    IMG_0080.jpeg

5. Maple

Maple Member

Thanks I’ll try put wood block on top of jack and put rubber plate on top of wood plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. I'd be a little cautious of using a block of wood even if it fits tightly to the jack. I've such a thing split suddenly, giving me a good scare.
    Ideally the flange needs to be captive within the jack saddle. It's very strong and designed for this, it's not going to buckle.

lars2885 and Maple like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I'd rather use the wood to chock the wheel on the opposite corner, tbh...