Subscriptions!

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Oct 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The InsideEVs Forum is happy to announce that we are now offering our members the opportunity to subscribe to our site for an improved experience and extra features.

For $20 per year, you get an ad-free experience. As well, you get access to new, private Forums where you may feel a little more free to discuss, well, anything.

A subscription will also allow you to sport a fancy new custom signature to your posts. Typically, these are used to show the community which vehicles you own and therefore have firsthand experience with. Of course, you can use the feature in any way you like.

Finally, subscriber status will also allow you to post in the classified section which has, until now, been open.

There may be other features available for subscribers in the future. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

To subscribe and upgrade your account, just click >here<.

A big thanks to our current and future subscribers. Besides a better experience, you also ensure the health and future growth of the community.

turtleturtle and Mattsburgh like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jack

Jack Administrator

All current classified ads will be carried over. All users will be able to respond, but only subscribers can post new listings from now on.

Domenick and bwilson4web like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A nit, you might consider some way to identify in the News comments those who are paid subscribers with a link to the pay page:
    • "(*)"
    • "(supporter)"
    • "(thanks)"
    • "(friend)"
    • "(donor)"
    • "(subscriber)"
    What brought this on were intemperate comments about dropping plug-in hybrids sales to which I made my hopefully not too snarky reply. Yet this might be an opportunity to let commenters know they can support InSideEVs with their wallets.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  5. By "in the News comments," are you referring to the Comments section on the InsideEVs site?

6. bwilson4web

Yes. The idea is to let folks know about it.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

I don’t see my signature using Safari on an iPhone. I’ll check later at the house.

Seems to be specific to iPhone so probably not worth much effort.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. I sort of like this idea, Bob. For one, it would be a reminder to the commenters that we have this whole other site here, where the conversations are a little less ephemeral.
    The two sites are quite separate from each other, though, so this type of thing would have to be handled manually. That wouldn't be a big problem now, though.

I'll bring this up. I'm not sure if it's feasible with the current InsideEVs commenting system, but they are looking at ways of improving that, so it may be feasible in the future.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

I am still thinking about this. It may be easier to just have a small 'ad' for the forum. Something covering these bullets:
    • Committed - investigate subjects in depth
    • Mixed media - URLs for supporting pages
    • Expertise - measured in decades
    • History - more than flash-pan posts
    • Metrics - "n" postings by "y" users
    Just trying to suggest ways to attract some of the 'old hands' I've seen in the news comments.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  11. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I just tried to renew and the Paypal link is broken. And god, this site is awful with ads. It freezes in Safari on Mac.

Domenick and bwilson4web like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

upload_2019-10-22_8-13-15.png Specifically.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. Apologies for the Paypal situation. I alerted the devs a few days ago and they couldn't figure out the problem right away. I will let them know that the issue continues.

15. bwilson4web

I used the browser debug function to look at the code and noticed the "submit" occurs earlier than I would have expected:
    Code:
    <form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" class="upgradeForm">
        <div class="cost">20.00 USD for 12 months</div>
            <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick" />
            <input type="hidden" name="amount" value="20.00" />
            <input type="submit" value="Purchase" class="button" />
        <input type="hidden" name="business" value="[email protected]" />
        <input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD" />
        <input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Account Upgrade: Subscribed (bwilson4web)" />
        <input type="hidden" name="quantity" value="1" />
        <input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1" />
        <input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="1" />
        <input type="hidden" name="custom" value="309,1,token,309,1571850963,2398ffa269ca86eea0a76f7717e0821106675b0e" />
        <input type="hidden" name="charset" value="utf-8" />
        <input type="hidden" name="email" value="bwilson4web@****.com" />
        <input type="hidden" name="return" value="https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?account/upgrade-purchase" />
        <input type="hidden" name="cancel_return" value="https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php" />
        <input type="hidden" name="notify_url" value="https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/payment_callback.php" />
    </form>

Object oriented coding languages like Java are not necessarily order dependent BUT sometimes they may not.

Bob Wilson

16. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I still get the same dialog.

17. bwilson4web

Yippie! It works again.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  18. For some reason, our PayPal account wouldn't function properly, so we had to switch to a different account. Not ideal for us, but members won't see a noticeable difference. It's great to have a way for members to avoid the ads again. Thank you all for your patience.

19. bwilson4web

Just renewed my subscription and it worked perfectly plus helping INSIDEEV.

Bob Wilson