Slow Charge Speed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CPark, Jan 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CPark

CPark New Member

Does anyone experience slow charge speed w the Mini? When I use the Level 1 charger provided by Mini. I am getting btw 2/3miles per hour vs 6/7 miles per hour on the Tesla Model 3 w the same charger. Also, when I use the Tesla level 2 charger on the Mini. I am getting only 5/5.5Kwh vs 7/8 on the Tesla.

Also, I have all the charge setting set to max but nothing seems to change. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions. TIA

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The provided Level 1 cable (US models) says it's a maximum of 10 amps, so the most you can get with the cable is 1.2 kW. Here's a graph of what I was getting from my Level 1 charging, which admittedly doesn't seem like 1.2 kW.

SE Level 1 08-21-2020.jpeg

There are two settings in the SE for charging – separate for Level 1 and Level 2. Make sure both are set to maximum.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    insightman likes this.
  4. alan2921

alan2921 New Member

As previously mentioned the L1 charger supplied by mini is mediocre for L1 at 10 amps :(

5. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I've used my Tesla portable connector, plugged into a 15A 120V socket, and adapted to Jessie with an adapter, and charged at about 4 MRpH.

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I assume this means that you were getting the full 12A the cable allows, and weren't limited to the 10A of the OEM cable.

I believe the J1772 standard supports up to 16A at 120V. Has anyone been able to check whether it will charge at 16A? It's a non-trivial increase, and 5-20 outlets aren't exactly rare (I have multiple in my home).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. F14Scott

Yes, what you said.

I don't own the 5-20 plug for the Tesla mobile connector that would then run it at 16A to test your J1772 at 16A supposition. (That's how the Tesla connector knows how much current to draw: you buy different plugs for it to fit different sockets that are, presumably, wired and fused properly for their increased amperages.)

9. GetOffYourGas

Yeah, Tesla's EVSE design is really slick. I wish others would copy it. Or better yet, standardize it. I have considered buying a "Jesla" which is basically the Tesla EVSE with the J1772 connector rather than the Tesla proprietary one. But that's really pricey and ultimately wasn't worth it to me.

F14Scott likes this.
  10. F14Scott

I got mine when I totaled my wife's Tesla and got to clean it out before its carcass went to the insurer. I then bought this adapter, which works perfectly.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_u6iaGb97QC6ZA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have the 5-15 and 14-50 plugs, which means I'm covered in the SE for any standard outlet, all RV parks, and any Tesla destination charger at hotels and stores, as well as, of course, all native J1772 connectors.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  11. GetOffYourGas

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope everyone is alright!

Speaking of RV parks, they have three common outlets: 5-20, 14-50, and TT-30. Does Tesla offer a TT-30 plug? That's nominally 30A at 120V. In theory, an EVSE could pull 24A from it, but I think the standard only goes to 16A on 120V.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

No, Tesla doesn't offer the TT-30. But, these guys do: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tt-30-adapter-for-tesla-model-s-x-3-gen-2/

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

According to the SE MINI Motorer's Guide, the maximum seems to be 15 A for Level 1, which would be pretty good. I've wanted to test it as my garage is wired for 20 A, but I haven't felt the desire to purchase a $400 replacement charging cable.

15. F14Scott

Careful... That connector is for 15A 120V or 20A 240V. The 6-20 it comes with will NOT fit a 20A 120V outlet.

16. I will be!

It looks like an adapter is included, although their image of a 5-15 outlet might be incorrect.

My garage is wired 20 amp and my outlet is 5-20.

A gentleman did an in-depth review and mentioned charging on 110.

I will find out for sure when it arrives.

F14Scott likes this.