Service disconnect fuse replacement - why isn't this a recall?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Spoonman., Sep 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

I got a letter from Chevrolet that they would replace the manual service disconnect fuse on my Bolt because it might pop open and make the car inoperable. Here's the NHTSA documentation. I'm glad they're addressing it, but I'm confused why it isn't a formal recall.

Anyways, if you have a Bolt EV with a build date from January to June 2019, call your dealer.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for posting this. This is info owners definitely need to be aware of.
    To address your question, I want to say it doesn't quite rise to the level of a recall, but then again, I'm often surprised by things that actually do.

In any case, it doesn't seem like it's a safety issue. I quote the issue from NHTSA below. The loss of propulsion would be a safety issue, but it sounds like it's been included because it's a remote possibility, and those need to be noted.

Condition: Certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles built between January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019, may have a condition in which the manual service disconnect fuse opens at too low an amperage resulting in a check engine light turning on or the vehicle will not start or in rare cases a loss of propulsion. Correction: Dealers are to replace the manual service disconnect fuse.

4. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

Happy to report that getting this service done was very fast once they got the part in stock.

Domenick likes this.