Seres -- nee SF Motors -- may be the next big EV maker

Discussion in 'Other EVs' started by Domenick, Nov 16, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Meet the Chinese Company That Really Wants to Be the Next Tesla

These guys have been flying under my radar for some time. Great piece, linked above, on Road&Track about them.

Their ace in the hole may be Tesla co-founder Martin Eberhard in the role of Chief Innovation Officer (They just bought his company and brought him on board). A lot of people liked Martin and were pretty pissed when Elon forced him out of the company. Now, we may get a chance to see what the man is capable of.

Here's a link to the press release about the buying up of Eberhard's company, InEVit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There have been a number of interesting developments with Seres since this thread started, so a quick update.

The company revealed its first vehicle, the SERES SF5, with deliveries said to begin in China in Q4 of 2019 (see pic below). It is also sharing pics of pre-production assembly of a vehicle (also below) in its Mishakawa, Indiana plant.

SERES SF5.jpg

SERES SF5 pre-production assembly in Mishawaka.jpg

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Glad they changed the name! "SF Motors" was really confusing, since the company isn't headquartered in San Francisco, nor (so far as I know) are their cars just Science Fiction.
    :D

Here's hoping that Martin Eberhard can do well at this new automotive startup. Neither he nor Elon Musk lead Tesla Motors in a responsible manner in the early years, resulting in huge cost overruns when developing the original Tesla Roadster. I have a lot of admiration for Eberhard regarding his vision -- he's one of the real founders of Tesla Motors, not someone merely claiming to be, like Elon Musk. It was Martin Eberhard who created Tesla's "secret plan", which Musk also later claimed credit for.

I hope Martin Eberhard has learned from his experiences, and I hope he finds success at Seres!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

[​IMG]

That's a nice looking car! So they are gonna assemble the car in Indiana, but sell it in China? Does that make sense?

Or is it that they plan to start selling the car first in China, and then later in the U.S., possibly delayed due to all the safety and crash testing needed for domestic sales?

6. They plan to manufacture and sell them in US. and China independently. So, U.S. produced vehicles are sold in America, Chinese ones in China.

They have announced two models, the SF5 and SF7 (pic below). Not sure what the U.S. production timeline is, but if they're building pre-production prototypes, it can't be so far away.

seres_sf7.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

That's a much better, much more practical plan, thanks.
    :)

Domenick likes this.