See many/any kona EVs in new york state? How come so few?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by HudsonKona, Jun 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

I am in southeast new york(dutchess county) and have been surprised how few other kona EVs i have seen(maybe 2, including my SEL ).
    And the local dealer seems to have had some 2019’s (mostly limited and ultimate) on the lot forever and no 2020’s.
    I figure it must be too high- pricing, because it’s a super car. Or maybe the SEL is ‘good enough’, like it is for me?
    Many around?

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Joev likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have started to see some non-EV Kona around here. I had forgotten that they even make them.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The only time I saw another Kona EV on the road was when JoeV was here in Florida and we met up... I doubt that in the next couple of years I'll get to see another Kona EV...

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Definitely some economically depressed areas in upstate New York. I have relatives in that area and I see it frequently. Most don't realize they are there or only think of New York as "City". My discussion with relatives is they are unknowing about the Kona. They are still new in rural America. Hyundai does not advertise them either. Their ads are generic and may show the EV occasionally but never shout about it. EV's will catch on but I don't think rural America even knows they exist yet.

6. To date I've witnessed one Kona Electric in the wild and that was about six weeks ago on the interstate. I see far more Bolts and Model 3's. The Boston area is full of money too so cost is not an issue here.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. One here on Long Island, NY. Went to an EV show in Southhaven Connecticut September of 2019, total of 3 at the show.

9. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

This is there are still Federal and State incentives. Bolts and Model 3's have sold over a million vehicles.

10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I have yet to see any in the SF BAY AREA, surprisingly. But we ARE a major hub for the TESLA's ... which are EVERYWHERE. #KoolAid :)

11. Konasu

Konasu New Member

I've had my Kona for 10 months and have only seen 2 others in the wild. I'm in Oregon. They are scarce and not promoted by the Hyundai dealers.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Traditional dealers won't promote EV's because they don't make money from them. Very small profit margin and almost zilch for maintenance or service. My Hyundai dealer also has two '19 EV's on their lot - if you can find them. The sales people are also clueless about them and have no incentive to learn anything. Teslas on the other hand are energetically promoted by knowledgeable people from a company which stands by their product with competent servicing. I think other carmakers will catch up eventually, in a few years, but in the meantime non-tesla EV's will remain rare.

14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Same. I'm in San Francisco and have yet to see another Kona Electric in the wild. Lots of Teslas and a fair number of Bolts and Leafs (Leaves?). But some of this may be supply, rather than lack of buyer interest. When I was car-shopping in February (made the purchase in early March), Kona EVs were really, really scarce and I ended up with my 3rd choice of color.

15. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

And the recent lease deals now appear only slightly better that when i got mine back in sept 19.
    Bet if they advertised it more it would sell...

16. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

Saw my 3rd kona EV of Dutchess county yesterday. That makes 3 in 10 months. All SEL: black, black, white w/black top....

17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Hey, I finally saw my first Kona Electric in the wild in San Francisco! It was occupied by an older man and woman driving alongside me. I waved but at first they didn't notice, then I pulled a bit ahead and they saw me and honked as we pulled up to a stop sign. We rolled down windows and had a brief conversation -- very fun!

I must say, I do like having a car that's kind of rare and unusual.

Jimct likes this.
  18. RandallScott

RandallScott New Member

Here in the Fresno, Clovis area I've seen "a few" Kona EVs other than my own, but then I've haven't seen many ICE Konas either. Until a car reaches a certain saturation you never see one, then suddenly one day you see them everywhere.
    Since I bought my '19 last March I have periodically checked dealers up and down the State just to see what inventory they have and for how long it remains listed and it seems there are a lot of Kona EVs for sale across the State, but for sure the dealers haven't a clue, nor probably a care on pushing them. As for making money from servicing, mine has been in for all the listed "checkups" which are all free under warranty and since there is so little to "break" on the car, the dealer is definitely not making money after the sale.