RV 50A outlet to ? for visiting Tesla?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Apr 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. At our TN property we have two RV pedestals wired for 50A RV plugs. One such receptacle, on the left here:

[​IMG]

I may have a friend visiting with a new Tesla Model X.

1) What kind of receptacle would his charging cable call for?
    2) Is an adapter available to get there from an RV receptacle?
    3) If and when we buy a level 2 charger, would the same adapter work for us?

Thanks. We’re still kinda new at this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

The one on the left is a NEMA 14-50. It’s about the most universal plug there is for EVSEs. Good job on picking that.

Your friends UMC that came with the car will plug right into that plug.

You will have no problem finding an EVSE for yourself that plugs into that.

4. Great! Good to know, and thanks.

I guess I thought 50A RV receptacles were different.

That’s cool - so about $200 for a basic Level 2 charger and we should be set for the Clarity as well. It’s rare we need to charge more quickly than overnight, but could come in handy after longer errands, especially if gas prices continue to soar.

Thanks again!

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a 32 amp Level 2 charger with 30% coupon off... not a bad deal for around $260...

https://www.amazon.com/Morec-Upgraded-Portable-220V-240V-Compatible/dp/B07DHFH8LW/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=level+2+evse&qid=1554987262&s=gateway&sr=8-10

It has the NEMA 14-50 plug that you can use with your RV pedestal. At 32 amps, you'll be able to charge your Clarity battery from 0 to 100% in 2.5 hours.

Dropping down to a 16 amp Level 2 charger will get the price down to $170, but most of those units have a NEMA 6-20 plug. You would need a NEMA 14-50p to NEMA 6-20r adapter like this one for $25...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HX9JCC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I am using to charge my Clarity. At 16 amps, it would take a little over 4.5 hours to charge my battery from 0 to 100%.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  6. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

One minor thing to bear in mind is that EV chargers tend to have short power cords between the plug and the electronic box, and hanging the electronic box off the plug is probably not a good idea—it will put stress on the cable, the plug, and the socket that they are not designed to hold. So if you can mount a shelf or something similar right below the socket it would be helpful for users.

7. To remove this ad click here.