Regenerative brake level effecting acceleration

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Claus S, Apr 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Claus S

Claus S New Member

Hi,
    I recently bought a Kona EV and my understanding of the regen levels you can adjust with the padels is that it should ony effect the braking not the acceleration. So I'm a bit confused that increasing the levels during acceleration decreases the acceleration only sligthly but noticibly.
    I mainly noticed it because I prefer driving with level 0 and its impossible(or atleast I haven't found a way to do it) to set 0 as default level.

Is this working as designed or am I misunderstading something.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

If you go into the vehicle settings on the multimedia unit in the car, you can set defaults for regen for each of the three driving modes, and they will stick when you shut the car off

4. Pheonician

Pheonician New Member

I think what you have to understand is that the accelerator pedal in an EV isn’t really an accelerator pedal, it’s more like a speed selector. Especially when you have regen set to level 3. The more you press it the faster you go. If you want to go slower then you don’t need to press it as far. If you want to stop you let go of the pedal completely. Setting the regen lower just means you need to use the brake pedal to come to a full stop. It will still be regen up until the very end or unless you need to emergency brake.

Also, no, I don’t believe there is a way to set regen to zero for the driving modes.

5. Pheonician

Pheonician New Member

Here is an eccentric and entertaining YouTuber reviewing his Tesla Model 3. He starts talking about the regenerative braking at the 10:30 mark. It puts a visual side to what I mention above.

6. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I had to step outside and try this for myself... (2020 SEL) can confirm, the drive mode presets only let you set Level 1, 2, or 3 - you can't disable regen entirely (Level 0) as the default, you have to use the right paddle.

Never encountered that since I leave it at 3, but I can see that being annoying. What a strange design choice!

Edit: As for acceleration, regen level may affect the "feel" of the accelerator pedal but only drive mode changes the actual throttle mapping from what I've experienced.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I’m surprised too. I just assumed 0 was an option. Sorry for the misinformation!

9. This question has come up several times in the past. Regen does effect accelerator pedal mapping and it's more noticeable as you approach lift-off. If it didn't, the onset of regen when you lifted off would be abrupt and there would be lots of complaints. You'll note that in Level 3 you can still achieve coasting at very low pedal pressure. The Level settings simply move the zero-torque demand (coasting) point further into the pedal range, roughly like this:

IMG_2458.jpeg

Orchardman, Fastnf and Genevamech like this.
  10. Claus S

Claus S New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. The remapping of the accelerator makes sense to me. I'm a bit annoyed that level 0 it not a option in the default settings. Atleast the padels makes adjusting it down easy, just annoying to have to do it everytime.

11. As with the Auto Hold defaulting to "off" I can only assume that Hyundai thought it might be a safety issue for a new driver unaccustomed to this mode since ICE cars always have some drag on gas pedal lift-off. It's always annoying when you have to work around the car's smarts.

12. To remove this ad click here.