Regen and range driver info - Kona vs Bolt

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Surlycat, Jul 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Just got my 2022 Kona and I’m fiddling with the driver info displays.

No maximum/minimum range indicator? Bolt has a super helpful instrument panel, that includes your range if you keep trending in a particular drive mode/style.

Wrapping my head around the “Charge/Power” dial - basically, if my needle is heavily into the charge side, I’m a regenerating queen, but if the needle is on the power side, it’s sucking down power like a hungry babe? Then, I have to use the Navigation panel to get a sense of my possible range/distance?

Gotta say, I do miss the Bolt’s display with it’s coloured green & yellow bars indicating your maximum & minimum range.

I’m new to the Kona - what am I missing? How do you all gauge your possible range against driving style etc? Is there an at a glance feature I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

eastpole and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Of course the displayed information(and default regeneration) is different on the dash depending on the drive mode selected- normal, sport, eco or eco+.
    I use the consumption info on the LCD screen. The menus can be changed from drive info (showing consumption information for the last drive -will reset after 4 hours when the car is shut off) also that same screen use the accumulated info which provides consumption info over time and can be manually reset. The units can also be changed, I tend to use kWh's/100km which is easily convertible to wh's per km. Average is around 125wh per km , lower than that is better.
    You can keep an eye out for consumption info as well on the center screen, - battery, energy info, electricity use, which will give you a readout of regeneration and drivetrain consumption, as well as climate and electronics use.
    Hope that helps.

mho and Surlycat like this.
  4. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Not to come in as rude, but didn't you test drive and did a little research on the car before buying it?

It is not like the car is a Tesla where you don't get to see it until your order is completed and delivered it to you.

Anyone can go to a Hyundai car dealer to try out the Kona EV.

5. You didn't succeed.

Who test drives a car and completely masters the dash controls and sub-menus? Come on. These are perfectly reasonable questions for a new owner to ask a group.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  6. I've got a 2021 but I assume the displays are similar. Like Electriceddy said, you can get a display constantly showing current consumption for your trip and I usually have that on so I can play the game of getting my consumption as low as possible. But that aside, without going out the car right now, I seem to think there's an indication of remaining distance that always shows on the dash. I assume that's based on your driving history and the state of charge. I actually see it increase when I go down a long hill with regenerative braking on. No indication of minimum range that I'm aware of.

Surlycat likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The car doesn't have a minimum and maximum range gage.

However it should show you a calculated range. It has the little gas station icon with a plug next to it. That's the GOM (Guess-O-Meter). That number is the range left calculated on your last x miles driving style. Unfortunately nobody knows how many last miles are included in that calculation. However what I tend to do is this:

Take the GOM miles and subtract the current distance (use nav screen) you need to go to your next destination (let that be a charge stop or your destination).

So ex. GOM-distance: 215 - 160 = 55
    That's the spare miles you'll have arriving at your destination.
    Now as you drive along you do that simple math every so often. If the number (55 in this case) gets smaller, you're using more energy than the car is anticipating. If that number drops, and gets too small for your comfort you should adjust your driving and save electrons. If the number is big and drops fast it might not be an issue at all. Maybe you're just going uphill. If the number gets bigger, you're definitely on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

9. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Hi Ed,

Gosh, really? I could have had a test drive before buying an electric car? Would they have told me how to charge it too? I sure felt silly going to the gas station to fuel up earlier today.

I was just asking for tips from the folk who have been driving the Kona for a while, and comparing to the Bolt. Perhaps you have experience of customising the driver instrument panel displays in both you’d find helpful to share?

MSimpsonNJ and Wildeyed like this.
  10. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

“Who test drives a car and completely masters the dash controls and sub-menus?” - my point exactly!

11. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Yes! This was exactly what I needed! I’m used to making those calculations in the Bolt using their “trending range bars”. Am comfortable with the varying efficiency depending upon uphill/oncoming winds etc. Watched the Out of Spec Motoring vid on his Kona road trip earlier today, and heard him mention the GOM. Super helpful! Thx!

Domenick and Esprit1st like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Yes - appreciate the details and I like the consumption info for the drive vs accumulation which will help me calculate efficiency trends over time. I noticed the CO2 info too, which was nice to see for giving myself a pat on the back, but not so helpful for “in the middle of a trip” driving.

eastpole likes this.
  14. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Cheers, and welcome to the Kona!

The gotcha I'm sure you've already thought of is this scenario: I drive in my city a fair bit, low speed streets and around the city, getting ready for a big trip. Efficiency is high and the GuessOMeter starts suggesting I can go 480 km or so on a full charge. Then, the day arrives for said big trip. I pack my whole fam in the car, with 200 kg of luggage, then we strap on the Yakima Space Booster top box and a back rack for sleeping bags, tents, drinking water, etc. Now we head off into the hinterland, a trip taken very conveniently on a freeway that offers 100 km/h but everyone drives 120 km/h. :) And it's uphill, too, out of the Great Lakes Basin.

At the beginning of this trip, the GuessOMeter still says 480 km! It has no idea that I intend to change my driving parameters this way, and it's painfully wrong. When the whole trip is *done*, I can go back and look at the efficiency (kWh/100 km or whatever) for the big trip, which is quite a bit lower than my efficiency when I'm just single-occupant grooving around the city. Of course now the G-O-M is wrong in the opposite direction and thinks I can only drive 350 km on a full charge, because it has taken into account the new information from the big trip, but no harm done on that score. Eventually it goes back to 'normal' and I have to remember this information for next time.

Frankly, this is the only time when trusting the automation will get you in much trouble, but it's also the only time the GuessOMeter really matters. :( I don't have a specific suggestion for improving it. When I go on a trip, I use A Better Route Planner and punch in my actual (experience-derived) efficiency values depending on whether the car is heavily laden or not.

Surlycat likes this.
  15. Very true, however other cars don't give you an approximation at all. Tesla's always show you the same range, no matter how you're driving. So you need to know. You can always "know" for any car.

For a better route planner, you don't have to know your consumption. That's the beauty about it. They have data for each car and you just punch in if you have extra weight in your car. It calculates the range based on that. It's an awesome tool.

It if you want go "fancy" like I am nerdy, use an OBD2 reader.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Are you really asking for tips, or are you complaining? It sounded more like a complaint:

"No maximum/minimum range indicator? Bolt has a super helpful instrument panel, that includes your range if you keep trending in a particular drive mode/style.

Wrapping my head around the “Charge/Power” dial - basically, if my needle is heavily into the charge side, I’m a regenerating queen, but if the needle is on the power side, it’s sucking down power like a hungry babe? Then, I have to use the Navigation panel to get a sense of my possible range/distance?

Gotta say, I do miss the Bolt’s display with it’s coloured green & yellow bars indicating your maximum & minimum range."

All I am saying is, if you like the Bolt's max/min range indicator so much, did you even bother asking the salesperson about the Kona EV's charge indicator?

I actually test drove my car before buying it, and the salesperson next to me during my drive was very thorough explaining most of the display settings on the car.

So, it surprises me that you happen to find this out AFTER you bought it. The range/stored charge indicator is almost like the fuel gauge on an ICE car. So, it is not some sort of esoteric indicator that is hidden or not obvious. The range indicator needs to be mastered???? LOL (I find that hard to believe, especially when this poster already owned a Bolt). Yet it seems unreal to me you didn't even bother checking it out or asking the salesperson before paying for it.

I am not against any person complaining about the car. I have some complaints too. But your complaint seems centered on a missing feature from your old Bolt, which you seem to love, but somehow you failed to brought up before buying the new car. My point is maybe you didn't do you due diligence before purchase. My 2 cents.

My only tip to you is, the display on the Kona is it is what it is. Better or worse than your old Bolt, you should have taken that into consideration before buying.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  17. “Eeyore, the old grey Donkey, stood by the side of the stream, and looked at himself in the water.
    “Pathetic,” he said. “That’s what it is. Pathetic.”
    He turned and walked slowly down the stream for twenty yards, splashed across it, and walked slowly back on the other side. Then he looked at himself in the water again.
    “As I thought,” he said. “No better from THIS side. But nobody minds. Nobody cares. Pathetic, that’s what it is.”

OzKona and Surlycat like this.
  18. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Wow Ed, you're an angry elf...

Surlycat likes this.