Recommendations for Volt charging stations at home

Discussion in 'Volt' started by bear44, Aug 2, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bear44

bear44 New Member

We are in northern California where the EV industry is starting to take off. I don't want to overpay someone to install a charging station at my house (for example, one estimator is claiming we need a permit, which is not what our local EV friends have ever been told), but I also want to be safe. I am wondering what others have done. We definitely want the 240V station, which means we will need to increase our AMPS. The question is do we get an electrician to simply add the 20 AMPS and the outlet, or do we spend more on a charging station plus the installation? We own our home, so no worries with landlord issues, etc.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Francisco

Francisco Member

Greetings:
    Most of this has been covered on the 2014 Volt optional charging thread. Welcome

4. Martik

Martik New Member

I just use my 240V 30A dryer outlet which is close to the garage. I didn't bother installing a switch so only the dryer or the charger could be used.

But I do not know if it would be legal in your area.

Here's a write-up of one installation with a switch: http://mennen.org/EVSE/index.htm

5. Blinker

Blinker New Member

I bought a TurboCord portable charger, ran a 220 line close to my Volt and plugged it in. Charges in under 4 hours.
    No need to pay for a charging station.

6. larrenz

larrenz Member

I know others use Leviton Portable EV Charger.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wizard of ahs

Wizard of ahs New Member

I ran my own 220 20amp line and terminated with a Nema 6-20 hospital grade receptacle. I have been running a Duosida for 2 years with no problems. It stays plugged in 24/7.

9. Roland

Roland Member

Before retiring, I was a licensed Journeyman in California and held another electrical license that reciprocated with 13 other States. California doesn't reciprocate with any other States. Each State is different on licensing enforcement and permit requirements, as is each municipality within your State. The largest structure you can build in California without a permit is up to 100sq.ft. of roof space. They are pretty strict on non licensed electricians there, ever since about 2007 when electrical licensing got fully underway. In parts of Arkansas for instance, the sky is the limit. It's usually the tax assessor that catches additions long after the fact. It would be best if you contacted your local jurisdiction and got their requirements. Be sure to make it clear that you as the homeowner are the one doing the work, even if it's really cousin Vinny doing it for you. They are who you need to satisfy. The State I currently live in, allows homeowners to do their own work on their home and a permit isn't required to add an outlet. You should check with your homeowner's insurance provider, as they are really the bottom line if there's a fire or worse an injury due to the installation. Installed per current NEC is important either way you go. Be sure to ask what edition of the NEC your jurisdiction is using. The 2017 NEC is currently the latest version, but California doesn't usually accept the latest version as soon as it comes out, so they are either using the 2014 or possibly even the 2011 NEC. NEC is updated every 3 years. Next issue is in 2020.