Recall 200

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Mar 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Now we have the official recall..

Screenshot_20210309-175202_Chrome.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Although it says "Remedy not yet available," the NHTSB recall says "As an interim step ... [o]wners will also be provided with instructions to manually lower the battery’s state of charge limit via the infotainment system."

Do we know what state of charge limit Hyundai recommends?

Bob Long likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

How does SOC limiting mitigate a "folded tab", other than reducing the available energy
    in the pack to fuel a fire after it starts?

Reminds me of "hanging chads"... I'm still waiting for the *BS* to stop and we get some
    reaal answers and fixes.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  5. I thought it was understood to be 90% but we shall have to wait. At least you have a statement in the US, all I've had is an email stating we will let you know what's going on as soon as we figure it out. I think anyone who's worked for a large company knows how slow things can move and I'm not too concerned about the pace so far.

Bob Long likes this.
  6. [​IMG]
    Canada finally caught up, as of today 3,556 Hyundai EVs included. Transport Canada #2021-109:
    https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng,eng&mk=39386!3759&mkName=HYUNDAI&md=KONA EV&fy=2019&ty=2020&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All Systems&all=0&rn=2021109&cf=SearchResult&pg=0
    same info... first step: lower charge limit, park outside. 2nd step: replace pack (timeline to be determined by notification from Hyundai).
    Note...check with your dealer as my previously owned 2019 model S/N doesn't show on the manufacture website recall link.
    Some how I figured there would be a "9" or "6" in the recall number, usually not a good sign. At least in the States, the 200 number doesn't sound as shocking (pardon the pun):D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    BC-Doc, Bob Long and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

"""""battery could short circuit while the vehicle is parked, charging, or driving."""""
    Not really comfortable with the driving part. Myself, I'm not too concerned but not comfortable if the wife was driving and it caught fire.

Bob Long and electriceddy like this.
  9. I noticed that as well. No reports of any fires while driving...yet, so I wouldn't be overly distressed.

XtsKonaTrooper and Bob Long like this.
  10. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

When charging, lithium ions move from cathode to anode.The NTHSA recall notice says the problem is "lithium plating on the folded anode tab". I guess in order for there to be enough lithium in the anode to reach and start plating the tab, the anode needs to be pretty full of lithium ions. With the usual "I'm not a battery chemist" disclaimer.

11. FloridaSun

At least the recall number is not 666 :D

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I guess the theory is that at high temperatures or sustained high SOC you will see more lithium cell swelling and possibly an increased likely hood of a short contributed by the folded uninsulated anodes. I dunno, but as much as I don't want a lithium fire in my driveway, electively neutering the SOC on a go forward basis is not a practical solution for me. Curious if any other Canadian Konas are on the actual Canadian recall list yet? My October 2019 built 2020 model is not showing up.

XtsKonaTrooper and Bob Long like this.
  14. Nope, mine doesn't show up yet. But probably at dealer.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  15. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Mine shows up on RECALL site. "Remedy Not Available Yet" ... So probably April ???? (In SF BAY AREA, California)

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  16. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

My 2019 hasn't shown up on it yet, either.

17. FloridaSun

April is when they will start shipping batteries to dealers... May be months or even a year or more until all batteries are swapped..

lars2885 likes this.
  18. Bri

Bri New Member

I have a Canadian 2020 Kona EV, manufactured in January 2020 (not sure when the battery itself was manufactured) but the Hyundai recall site does NOT have me listed for the R0183 battery replacement recall! (The recall site does correctly show that I've had the R0175 and R0178 recalls).
    I see that 3,556 Canadian Konas are going to qualify for the battery replacement but has ANYONE in Canada entered their VIN and actually been confirmed for the recall? I'm wondering if I do qualify for the replacement and the Hyundai recall site just hasn't been updated yet, or whether for some reason I don't qualify for the battery replacement?

19. You can check the label on the pack itself (behind rear suspension on drivers side) for the pack manufacture date. I just plugged in my old 2019 Ultimate and it is now listed as included R0183(manufactured Dec 2019).
    The best (most accurate) way is to go to a dealer and let them plug it into their system.

mho likes this.
  20. MLKFLOT

MLKFLOT New Member

I entered my VIN about two weeks ago. Initially only two completed recalls showed up, the battery replacement recall appeared on about the 11th March. Btw, mine is a 2019 Kona.

turtleturtle likes this.
  21. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

I got the recall RO183 on Hyundai Canada since last monday.

22. Mine also shows up now. I spoke to the Hyundai dealer about it and they just said I will be notified when the battery replacement is available. I can bring it in and they will lower the max charging rate to 90% or I can do it myself. I will of course choose the DIY method, as I have changed mine many times as desired for the situation.

Here is the text of the recall:

Incomplete
    2021-03-04
    R0183 (TBAR0183)
    Battery Replacement (Interim - Recall Remedy Not Yet Available)

Description
    Issue: On certain electric vehicles, there could be a problem inside the high-voltage battery. As a result, the high-voltage battery could short circuit while the vehicle is parked, charging, or driving. Note: Vehicles that had a battery replacement after completion of Hyundai recall R0175 (Transport Canada Recall No. 2020-477) do not require repair under this recall. For the Hyundai Ioniq, only certain all-electric models are affected by this recall. Safety Risk: A short circuit in the battery could cause a fire. Corrective Actions: Hyundai will notify owners by mail and provide you with instructions for what you should do. This recall will be completed in steps. Hyundai will first instruct you to take your vehicle to a dealer to lower the battery charging limit. You will also be provided with instructions for how to do this yourself using the vehicle's infotainment system. Hyundai recommends that you should park your vehicle outdoors, and away from other vehicles or buildings until this step is completed. The second step of this recall will be to replace the high-voltage battery. Hyundai will notify you when a replacement battery is available for your vehicle.
    Recall Status
    Incomplete

Toolworker likes this.
  23. Thanks for the 90% figure.

But how confident should we be that 90% will eliminate the risk?

I only need to charge occasionally, so have been parking outside my garage and using the Hyundai charge cord overnight. I have a 120 - 240v adapter so can cut the charging time in half.