Rebooting Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Feb 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I've had some experiences others have not, and on some good advice from KentuckyKen decided to reboot the clarity. The actual process was to remove the negative battery lead on the 12v battery, wait a bit, re-attach.

The car came up with lots of alarms / warnings. After driving it around my neighborhood they all cleared on their own. One might need a pair of pliers of similar to loosen the nut on the terminal and to re-tighten it.

Initial results were unusually good in my case (from maybe getting 32 miles of EV range to 41). Part of the reason for this post is to indicate those early results for the EV range went away. i.e. once the car got used to my driving, it dropped back to 32 today. But we also have freezing weather (not as bad as most places, but say 32F over night, with may 40F by day).

Some of my settings reset in a good way. My infotainment display now auto-dims and I didn't know it could do that. Our car never did in its first 4 months.

The other thing that has happened is I now can drive in HV mode and better preserve EV range. It still goes down slowly with use, but is improved.

So if you have odd-ball problems that others in the forums don't see, you might try a reboot. Be aware its pretty scary all the warnings that come up, so I wouldn't do this at all unless you really need to, and you have time like on the weekend to deal with it. For example, I would not do it before a planned big trip-- just too stressful. Mine didn't clear overnight, but did pretty shortly after driving. Perhaps I just needed to drive the car to clear because that's what happened.

Along the way, watching carefully, I know why my EV range goes down. It's definitely directly linked to my use of cabin heat. The more I use it, the more sharply EV range declines. This isn't news to folks in this forum, but I was perhaps surprised by how much this matters. Also, when its wet and cold where I live, I plan to keep using cabin heat (and seat heaters) but there goes at least 9 miles of estimated EV range right there.

-Dan

Ceetee and jdonalds like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Good info. Thanks.