Rear middle seatbelt not retrieving...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dante, May 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dante

Dante Member

Clarity friends - my daughter pulled the belt in the middle spot of the rear seat, and it got stuck all out, to the point where I can't get it to reel back in.

Belt comes out at a slot on top of the seat and I feel I have to reach behind and try to get the spring loose or something along those lines so it rolls the belt back in the housing. I looked in the trunk and didn't see anything to lead me to it.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I always try to pick the low hanging fruit first so please don’t take this suggestion the wrong way, but have you checked that it’s not bunched or folded in the plastic loop at the top of the seat?
    If not, the try yanking hard with a quick let go and see if that will free up the spring rewind.
    Hopefully you can avoid a trip to the dealer.

4. Dante

Dante Member

hey Ken - I did check for folds (none there) and tried the quick tug and release trick to hopefully awaken the mechanism... but no luck - I think there isn't enough slack left to have that impact.
    The mechanism is hidden behind the seat somewhere and looking in the trunk I saw an enclosed compartment-like on the upper part of the trunk, under the rear windshield, that's covered with felt as the rest of the trunk, but it doesn't appear to serve a purpose. On a first look at it, I didn't see any way of getting in... at least not without starting to remove the felt and probably remove screws and fasteners all over the place.

I'll investigate closer this week-end and maybe figure out a way to fold the rear backrest forward... maybe it will provide some answers.

5. HagerHedgie

HagerHedgie Member

Take it to the dealer. There may be something wrong with the mechanism I doubt the dealer would charge you. That shouldn’t happen even if your daughter was playing with the seat belt.