Real World range for the Tesla S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mark B, Nov 21, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark B

Mark B New Member

I am seriously looking at buying an EV in the near future, particularly interested in a Tesla S. More interested in the 85 or higher KW but what are the real ranges people are getting from their cars and in what climates etc.

What problems have people had with their Tesla S.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Counterpoint

Counterpoint New Member

I believe there's an app that tracks range and battery capacity in comparison to temperature. They released a graph that showed most people get roughly 80% efficiency between 50-90 degrees Farenheit (10-32 degrees Celsius), and efficiency drops off to around 60% when the temperature is outside that range. Multiply the EPA range by those percentages and you'd get a roughly accurate range. So a Model S 75D would have between 155-207 miles range and a Model S 100D would have a 201-268 mile range.

4. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Many thanks for posting this but I was more looking at what range people are getting after the car has covered a few miles, say 50K or 100K and the batteries have had a good bit of use. I would be looking at long term use and wondering how the range drops off as the mileage gets higher.

5. One data point: just watched this video with a guy saying his Model S90D gave him an estimated 272 miles of range. It has 46,000 miles on it.

Another video, from a different owner with 85,000 miles over several years talks about his max range going from 242 to 236 over that time. He doesn't say which size battery it has, but I guess it does show some amount of degradation.

6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

The Tesla Motors Club forum is an excellent resource for a deep dive into questions of this type. But that forum is so active the trick is figuring out which thread(s) to read.

Here's an extensive one on the subject of range loss over the years of ownership:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/whats-your-90.50171/

You might also be interested in graphs of actual reported range loss vs. miles... or actually, kilometers. Several can be found here:

https://steinbuch.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/tesla-model-s-battery-degradation-data/

That's a very broad subject. If you're really interested, you could spend days or even weeks reading discussions of various problems, some common and some rare, at the Tesla Motors Club forum.

You might want to check out Edmunds.com's long-term driving review, altho many of their problems were related to them having a relatively early production model; some problems have been fixed or at least occur less frequently, since then.

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/

(Warning: Links at that web page to the various articles are in reverse chronological order, so start at the bottom and work up to the top.)

You might also want to check out the various Consumer Reports articles on the Model S, altho some (including myself) have questioned the sometimes apparently rather arbitrary nature of their ratings, which keep changing in a seemingly haphazard fashion. Those articles are a good source of info on what the more common problems are with the Model S. My advice: Pay attention to the details reported in the articles, but ignore the confusing and apparently self-contradictory ratings.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2cool4fuel

2cool4fuel New Member

Here is a good real world example I can share.
    I have a P85D. Same 25km trip I do every day uses 30 km range in my P85D.
    Had a loaner 75. Same 25km trip (did it two days) used only 24km range each time.
    Same driver style, conditions etc....if anything I actually feel I drove the 75 harder.
    I can make the P85D get better by being VERY gentle etc. Then again, I could have done better with the 75 also!
    Dealer confirmed all P models suck more current. That's just the way it is.
    Tried chill mode but no diff. You just have to be very smooth to save energy.
    I also lose up to 10 km a day parked.
    Hope this helps.

9. bersselaar69

bersselaar69 New Member

I've got a 75 for almost a year. Standard my battery charges to 90%. This is 332 KM (206 miles). When It was new this was 343 km (213 miles). So after 32.000 kilometers I lost almost 4%. Note that you cannot extrapolate this cause the battery lost in the beginning will me more.

In summertime the 332 KM wil be practical 310KM. Now in the winter you lose an extra 10%. So the range is limited to 290 - 300 KM (180 - 186 miles).

Chancing the battery to 100%, which will add an extra 10% to the capacity, is only used for distance driving. It will cost you battery lifetime.

(as you noticed English is not my native language)

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

That's right; battery capacity loss is actually greatest in the first 50,000 km or so, then tapers off somewhat over longer total distance driven, as shown on the graph below:

[​IMG]

11. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, I took the plunge and bought a P85 cpo from Tesla, collected it 12 days ago and so far so good.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

Congratulations! I hope you have many trouble-free years with your Tesla car! I'm guessing it's a Model S, rather than a Model X?
    -