Range - Winter - 80%

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by syntaxfx, Jan 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Like you, the car hasn't given me a minute's trouble (only 13000km though). I wonder if we're operating them slightly differently from the folks that have had problems??? You and I live in places where it doesn't ever get desperately cold. I wonder if the freezing cold is the issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm in Florida with warm winters and hot summers.. Lots of rain during rainy season (June through September). The coldest it gets here is usually at the freezing mark and that happens very rarely.. I never needed the heater on my Kona, mostly because the car is in the garage and never cools down cold enough to need the heater..

4. In Sydney, it's basically the same. In winter, we do get a few days where the temperatures stay under 10 deg. C. Typically, I've used the heater to demist the windshield and that's about it.

For those folk reporting a negative experience with the Kona, did it start in freezing conditions?

5. Allan

Allan New Member

Hi guys. Sorry if this was discussed before. I just joined because I wanted to see if my problem (if it is even a problem) is common.
    First winter (Montreal, QC) with my Preferred 2020 and i’m only getting a range of 275km at 80%.
    Reason I wanted to ask here is because I have a friend who also lives here (so same winter) and wons a 2019 ultimate and he’s telling me he’s getting a range of 400+ km at 80%!!!! That’s a huge difference.
    Do I have a problem with my battery?
    Am I doing something wrong?

I am charging mostly on 120V. Is that my problem? I charge outside.

Thank you.
    Allan

6. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

My range issue started once Hyundai started with campaigns with "mystery" updates that don't have details.Issue meaning I no longer saw my {non winter} delivery mileage for my 2019: ~510km/316 miles{EPA 258 mile/415km}.First winter,the vehicle was good,below average range loss.

Things got worse with the Li-ion recall update where I turtled my vehicle due to the unpredictable range.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

The range of 400km at 80% doesn't seem that realistic. It might be if his vehicle is kept in a garage at night and is only used mostly around town. If your use has more high speed freeway driving with heater set to toasty warm that could be it right there. Your figure is more consistent with a Niro that I test drove. At right around freezing it was showing about 404km range at 98% SOC which dropped to roughly 375 when heater toggled on. The devil is in the details on how each of you are using your vehicles.

9. When I bought my 2021, I received it @ 100 % = 415 km.

I charged from then to 80% all the time now.
    summer = 320 km
    winter = 280 km

I have less than 6 month (10k km) for now, so i don't know the true range for winter.

Charging from 120v or 240v, will only change the speed not the capacity of the battery.

Winter use more heating and lower the range. I just pre climate before leaving. But on 240, it's good. Don't know if this works on 120v.

You have approximately the same number as me, so you're OK.

10. This year 90% charge here in Ontario has been consistently 370+km. It's been a mild winter so far. Last year was colder and I got about 360km at 100%. Mostly driving highway at 90-100km/h.

11. Do you live in a region with sub-zero (deg. C) or relatively mild winters?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Allan there is nothing wrong with your winter range. Your friend's quote is an optimistic summer range on a urban drive cycle. Unless your friend only drives a slow city cycle with no heat I am going to call BS on his numbers.

Just to give you some perspective, it was a daytime high of -16C for me today and my current GOM reading with normal drive mode and heat set at 22C auto was 234km at 80% SOC. If I turn off the heat its nearly 300km.

KiwiME, EVPower and Tomek like this.
  14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Specified winter because it drops below 32°F/0°C. " First winter,the vehicle was good,below average range loss {~30-50% in EVs}."If in SOCAL, FL, AZ... winter's remain above 32°F/0°C {?},even worse issue if range drops <29% .Kona's heat pump is good in 32°F/0°C,or colder. The vehicles impacted with campaigns,and recalls appear to be a few 2019,early 2020. Tesla was just forced by NHTSA to recall 158000 S and X MCU,however, they know about their eMMC NAND flash memory device rewrite issues.Kona owners dealing with the Li-ion are in the dark.

15. Right.
    In Australia and possibly in parts of the USA (BlueKonaEV?), they didn't include a battery heater at all, so we don't have that hit on consumption. We just get slow charging on cold days :rolleyes:

Anyone else living with cold winters having these issues?

16. Hi, all. I moved some posts from a different thread here because they were a little off-topic in the thread they were in and more on topic here, where we're discussing cold and range. However, some of the moved posts were older than the first one here.
    So, to help keep things straight, the actual first post in this thread is #6.

Wildeyed and Toolworker like this.
  17. Ok, but I made those comments in direct response to the reasons people gave as to why they couldn't recommend buying a Kona.

Domenick likes this.
  18. I just bought a new 2019 Kona Electric(11/30/2020). I was averaging 3.2 - 3.4 miles/kwh reported by the car for my trips. I just got a recall (nominally for the brakes) and after the recall, I have gone on 3 trips, 4.4, 4.8 and 3.8 miles/kwh. Not complaining about the results, but wondering if anyone else had the same issues. I live in Buffalo, NY, and have only driven 450 miles since I bought the car.

20. Sorry, previous reply had no content. OK, here's my question: What do we on this Forum mean by "Range"?

Is it just the number that shows up on the GoM display? If you charge to 80% or 100%, and the GoM shows 390 km or 430 or whatever, is that it? Has anyone confirmed that you can actually drive those number of kilometers?

Secondly, what is the end point of Range? Is it when the Kona goes into Turtle Mode, or is it when the Kona dies on the highway with a totally depleted battery?

Here's why I am bringing this up. A couple of weeks ago, I charged to 100%. I neglected to record the GoM reading, but a couple of days later, the SOC was 91% and the GoM showed 354 km. I decided to keep driving to see how far I could really go, not just go by the GoM display. Turtle Mode kicked in at about 5% SOC, and I finally pulled up to the charger when the SOC was 3%. The total kilometers driven since the 100% charge was only 307 km. I suppose if I had kept driving until the died, I could have gone another 20 km or so, say a total of 330 km. BTW, this was mainly city driving with lots of regen going on, no high speed highway driving. In any case, the actual kilometers driven was way less than what the GoM had predicted. Now, in fairness, the climate control was set at 21 Celsius, and the heated seats and steering wheel were used regularly, and there were times the heater was on with the Kona parked for twenty minutes or so.

So I am wondering if those of you who are reporting a "range" of 370, 390 or more kilometers in winter driving, are you really getting it? .....Rickker

apu and Wildeyed like this.
  21. For me it's just the GOM readings. I don't treat my car as a science experiment nor do I deliberately drive until empty so I will never know the true range. That being said, no, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get the full GOM range if I did. But it's also pretty reasonable to say that the higher the GOM is the higher the actual range I can get. Personally that's all that concerns me and it's also the easiest basis for comparison from day-to-day and season-to-season.

Domenick likes this.