Predictions for 2019 model. Anything that would make you wish you waited?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by weave, Jul 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. weave

weave Active Member

What's your predictions about what might be different in the 2019 model? While it's pretty much a sure thing it won't be a radical redesign, there are some tweaks that could make it much better. Right now I don't think there's anything that would make me wish I waited, but there's a few things that might make me wonder.
    • Better entertainment system or head unit
    • In-car hot spot capability like some other Hondas
    • Better battery range. Personally I'd be OK with shaving a gallon or two off the gas tank in exchange for longer battery range -- but that would increase costs as well most likely.
    • DC fast charging. While it's not as big of a deal with a PHEV, I've certainly run across stations where there's only CHAdeMO support.
    Speaking of the head unit, every review laments the lack of physical knobs for volume and tuning. I haven't found that to be a problem because I use the controls on the steering wheel -- either for volume changes or right-left switching between presets. If the passenger wants to muck with it, then it's not as big of a deal. So if they added that I'd be like "meh" honestly.

2. To remove this ad click here.

• Lumbar Support
    • cooled seats
    • physical volume and mute button
    • 10 gallon fuel tank
    • More battery range
    • Alert that warns you that the lane your trying to merge into is occupied
    • Better stereo speakers

Of all those, the only one that would make me wish I had waited was increased battery range.

Omgswify likes this.
  3. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

I love the 2018, so nothing that would have made me wait but wish;

Physical vol or at least mute button (that 1 sec delay for sound to cut off from panel can feel like an eternity when you are accidentally blaring)

Side and rear blindspot. I have purchased a BSS1-LPB however and will let this forum know how it works once installed.

A larger tank (which the weight conscious could only fill partly) could have pushed this car into super-range territory, instead of typical-range.

That’s it. I consider this car SUCH a steal compared to the others. Wouldn’t wait a year to drive it just to get some specific features.

Smitty74 likes this.
  4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I too had thought it was silly to have such a small gas tank but after a long road trip, I found it wasn't a problem at all (I easily beat the EPA mileage estimates). Conversely, one of my biggest headaches is to use enough gasoline so it doesn't go bad (I don't need any gas at all for my everyday driving). That would be worse with a bigger gas tank. Yes, I could keep less gas in the tank but conventional wisdom is to keep it full to keep it in better condition.

5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Auto high-beams
    Direct TPMS with individual tire pressure monitoring
    Mute button
    Wireless charging
    USB ports for rear passengers

Smitty74 likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I would say better headlights. Both high and low beams. LEDs are normally very bright but the styling of the Clarity lights (very narrow row) limits their range.

8. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

In addition to others suggestions,
    1 Factory installed ‘Backup’ sensors in front and rear bumpers to help with parking: I have terrible depth perception. The Honda Accord touring has these.
    2 Update the ACC software. Evidently the Accord has the latest and it is more responsive than on the clarity

neal adkins, Pegsie and PeteWagner like this.
  9. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

1. Replace turn signal camera with blind spot monitoring and those mirror indicators
    2. Physical volume knob or simply the system from the new Accord
    3. Wireless Android Auto/Apple car play
    4. Heated steering wheel
    5. For Canadians, power memory seats
    6. Rear USB ports
    7. Steering wheel from Accord/Insight

Chris Messer likes this.
  10. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

In Ontario nothing will make anyone here want a 2019 because we no longer have the 13k rebate. Let's assume they keep the price close within 1k. I'd like front parking sensors only , change lane camera to real blindside with rear cross. Add a 50 watt subwoofer. Power memory seats and updated infotainment. I think that is enough to keep costs the same .

Chris Messer likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Most likely there will be no change for 2019, maybe new colors or something very minor.

13. weave

weave Active Member

That would actually make me feel better. :p I just got mine two weeks ago and I was thinking about waiting to see what was in the 2019 model -- but since 2018 didn't come out until December I can't imagine 2019 will come out soon. Plus Summer is a good time to buy due to discounts. I'd probably end up having to buy at retail if I got a 2019 right at release date.

Texas22Step likes this.
    • From Rick in Austin TX, Clarity touring 2018:
    • ---------------(5=high, 1=low)----------------------------------
    • (3) In-car hot-spot capability (I added my own hot-spot)
    • (3) Lumbar Support
    • (4) Cooled seats
    • (4) Physical volume and mute button
    • (5) 10 gallon (or larger) fuel tank (same as Prius / Volt)
    • (5++) Side and rear blind-spot monitoring
    • (3) Auto high-beams
    • (3) Direct TPMS with individual tire pressure monitoring
    • (3) Wireless charging but with wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
    • (3) USB ports for rear passengers
    • (3) Heated steering wheel

chris5168 and weave like this.
  14. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I like the small engine, small gas tank design with the bias toward EV, I think this is the future.
    Wish list is active grill shutters, exhaust heat recovery (like on accord hybrid), softer control (feathering) for adaptive cruise braking and accel.
    If they made it look pretty, I couldn't find it in the parking lot.

Texas22Step likes this.
  15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Hey, you callin’ my car ugly?!?
    I’ll whup you with my charging cable like Indiana Jones!
    Just kidding Atkinson.
    Seriously though, I like the aforementioned improvements, especially the heated steering wheel and blind spot monitoring. I’ll add give me a fifth regen chevron and I’d hardly ever have to pedal brake.
    And I’d like many more features like brake hold, LKAS and Sport regen ro name a few to be selectable in software set up so I could configure the car to start just the way I want it.
    That would not cost much where as all our other physical wishes would certainly drive up the price way more.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda wouldn't allow your 5th chevron to appear until the battery was almost completely discharged.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  17. bfd

bfd Active Member

The biggest likelihood for something new in 2019? A price drop - which could make 2018 buyers unhappy.

18. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Probably would, but would be balanced by having the tax credit (+/- state credit) locked in—you never know—, and getting to drive it for a year.:)

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

• Get rid of the knee-knocking center console on the driver's side
    • Donut spare tire
    • Side blind spot monitoring
    • Wireless Android Auto / Apple Car Play
    BUT, it must be said that none of these would make me wish I waited. In addition to enjoying the car and its economy, I am also enjoying the $2500 Texas rebate, which is highly likely to be gone (funding depleted) by the time any 2019 Clarity is available.

21. Jaketesla

Jaketesla Member

My prediction, based on low sales and anecdotal evidence of lots of 2018's left on dealer lots (in the U.S.), is that there won't be any 2019 Clarity. They will skip a year or discontinue the model. I hope I'm wrong.