Portable EVSE question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, Apr 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I'm looking at portable L2 EVSE and am looking at Mustart. Does anyone know the functional/practical difference between the Gen1 and Gen2? I looked on the website but could not easily find an explanation (See screencapture).
    upload_2021-4-7_21-52-27.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It looks like Gen 1 came with a wall hanger. See the lower right hand corner of the Gen 1 screen shot photo under the two cables. While gen 2 does not come with those items but can be orders as accessories for $16. So essentially they raised the price but don't want you to know it.

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

It looks like they changed the style of connector for the power input. Gen1 uses a 5-pin connector, Gen2 uses a 4-pin. This would make the interchangeable plugs for Gen1 and Gen2 incompatible. There might be other differences but that's the most obvious one to me.

MSimpsonNJ likes this.
  5. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Yes looks like you both are correct - I should have studied their site a bit harder. Thanks so much.

Now I wonder what the most common 240v plugs are used out in the wild....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  6. 14-50 at campgrounds, but in a pinch a 6-50 would be a good back up as most welding/repair shops use that type of receptacle.
    14-50:
    [​IMG]

6-50:
    [​IMG]

for 120V an adaptor for a tt-30 would get you 2880 W continuous (also used in RV parks) set the current at 24 A if possible :[​IMG]ks:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    mho and MSimpsonNJ like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PlugShare only list 2 plugs on there website and app. The Nema 14-50 and the Nema 5-15.

MSimpsonNJ likes this.