Plugged Up Rocker Panels

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Oct 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I've had my Clarity 2 weeks and washed it for the first time. Behind the front wheels, and in front of the rear wheels, there are large holes in the bottom of the rocker panels for accessing jacking points. These areas, after 2 weeks of fall driving with lots of leaves etc on the road, were packed with leaves, sand, and gravel. The stuff was pushed back into the rocker panels beyond the actual holes, but I was able to get most of it out with my fingers. I also see lots of gaps around the edge of the big flocked bottom panel where stuff can get in and sit on the panel. I'm afraid the bottom of this car is going to turn into a disaster from wet leaves followed by salt and sand all winter. Anyone else see this? Any ideas besides just cleaning it out? I didn't expect this on a new car they should be designed to shed not capture this stuff.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

You're probably seeing the holes that are supposed to be plugged after delivery to the dealership. Look around in the glove box and trunk and see if you can find them. If not return to the dealership and inquire.

4. David Towle

No, those plugs are in on my car. They are much smaller than the openings I am describing. These have a vertical piece of metal in the middle for jacking points.

5. neal adkins

Ok...many people got their clarity without the plugs installed. But you might have a legitimate use for some duct tape to cover the holes.

6. David Towle

Here's a picture of part of one of the holes in the rocker panel to clarify. I can't get the phone far enough away to get the entire hole until I get it up on a lift. But this shows black plastic edges of the rocker panel on 2 sides. IMG_3392.JPG IMG_3392.JPG

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

I don't think duct tape would last more than an hour under the barrage of stuff the wheels throw up. The appropriate thing would be snap in plastic covers that you can remove to jack the car.

9. neal adkins

They also have the metalic duct tape that is pretty durable. But good luck on finding plastic covers.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I would caution you about covering up all the holes. On most cars, some are needed for drainage and the last thing you want to do is trap moisture up in the frame. Of course if Honda forgot to fill or plug some then you would want to correct their mistake. But how would we know which ones need to be plugged beside the 4 that are mentioned in the Service Bulletin?

ClarityDoc likes this.
  11. David Towle

I agree. I asked the service manager about it today and she suggested stuffing them with a swimming noodle piece but I have my doubts about that. I looked at the Accords they are the same design.

12. To remove this ad click here.