Pilot PHEV | This might change some minds

Discussion in 'Honda' started by chris5168, Jun 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Hmmm...in the article, it says 212 hp and 232 lb ft of torque, the same as the Clarity in a much larger, heavier vehicle. It's fine in the Clarity but I suspect it will make the Pilot feel like a slug.

Muhammad shoaib likes this.
  3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I would gather its a 2 row vehicle. The is a Highlander with a 4 cylinder engine, even less power than this. Of course the price may be an issue, close to 45 I would imagine. Unless it's a real ECO vehicle, in other words slow.

4. KyleH

KyleH New Member

That Pilot is a 3 row vehicle it appears to me. No way they'd remove a row of seats and decrease their audience base. An extra kid or two in the back row isn't going to make a difference in performance in a likely nearly 5k lb vehicle. It is interesting that they're motivating it with less power than the gas engine output of today, given it's substantial increase in curb weight due to the batteries. However, I guess time will tell, as I suspect the engine selection is based on speculation at this time. I will say it's a void that needs filling - that is a larger plug in vehicle. Right now the only thing in the size and price range I'm aware of is the Chrysler Pacifica - and I suspect most people who are buying Hondas aren't also buying Chryslers. We were actually shopping pilot-sized 3 row SUVs before we landed on the Clarity. Didn't really like the fact of spending 70k on a Volvo XC90 plug in with such a limited EV range. Overall I think it's great Honda's moving in that direction, even if the first iteration isn't perfect.

Domenick likes this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Yes I would really like a Crossover/SUV much more than a sedan. It turns out the 47 miles of EV range of the Clarity is my #1 reason for buying it. If the Pilot has that kind of range it would be a top pick (if I didn't already own the Clarity). That range overshadows everything else for me. It is close to perfect because it covers our daily driving needs. Any of the other PHEV cars with 30 EV miles or less simply don't make the grade for me.

KyleH likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

1) Hopefully they are able to optimize (lighten) the structure a few hundred pounds to offset some battery mass. Agree that a normally-aspirated 2L will be strained even with assist from electrons. Would prefer they put something a little more powerful, like a 2.0L Turbo or 2.4L (do they even have a 2.4L in Atkinson cycle).
    2) My hope is that the standard ICE model will be the option if you want the third row and the PHEV will place the battery and rear motor (assuming the rumor of transaxle is false) where the third row would have folded into the floor. Trying to fit both the battery/motor and third row will require significantly compromising the battery size and gas tank size.
    3) More than 30 miles of EV range is only going to be possible if they are able to squeeze the Clarity system into the CR-V and lighten its structure. I don't think the Pilot with the same size battery would get any better than 25 miles.

8. The Mitsubishi highlander lost its third row in the PHEV version. They also used two motors to have the AWD which might be an option here.

9. chris5168

chris5168 Member

Hard for me to understand why Honda doesn’t have an official statement of when to expect non-sedan PHEVs.

We keep looking for a “people mover” to replace our Odyssey (which we love) but the unknown delivery window is getting us closer to pullling the drigger on something non-Honda.

If the Mitsu had a third row we would seriously look at that further, if pilot didn’t have third row, we’d still get it. Funny how that works...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  10. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Well, you have the Pacifica which is a strong competitor to the Ody...

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. When they put this power train in a CR-V, I'll think seriously about buying one.

The Pilot is too big for my needs (and I'd rather spend $30K net than $45K), and I found the Clarity underwhelming.

The next gen Clarity needs to have a more comfortable driver's seat and a simpler interface for ordinary controls, like audio and AC. The Accord has them--why can't the Clarity? Also, given the size and shape of the Clarity, it ought to be a hatchback, but that's not a deal killer. The bad front seat, without lumbar support, is.

FWIW, the solar roof is going onto my house next week, and I'll buy an extended range Nissan Leaf, as soon as it's available, to replace the old TSX. I'll keep the RAV4 V6 until the right plug-in hybrid comes along so as not to get stuck in a giant flood or earthquake with ONLY electric vehicles.

13. bigbug

bigbug Member

There is indeed a hybrid CR-V released in Asian market. I've also read that CR-V PHEV is in development but can't remember the source.

https://world.honda.com/news/2017/4170419aeng.html

14. The range is a bit low and there are a couple quirks to the EV operation but i suppose it's better that nothing in the odyssey. Personally the Odyssey and the Pilot are a similar size but the Pilot drives better, has an AWD options and is a little more comfortable in the mid seating because the seats don't remove so require less structure.

15. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Join us in Canada then you can go all electric and not have to worry about either flood or earthquake! ;)

16. You bad..... Is that 8Volt power? :)

17. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

LOL, no it is my 'bad' past. I ditched my beloved Lexus with a buttery smooth 8-cylinder engine for the Clarity.

18. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I have a 2016 pilot with a v6-260 hp. Even with that engine, the car feels like I am piloting a big cruise ship. I can't imagine how much slow the car would be using the guts of clarity to propel a heavier car. It would properly increase mileage from teens in the city to mid 20s, which percentage wise looks very good. Performance wise, well let just say I won't race a Prius off the traffic light.

19. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

PHEV AWD CRV would be perfect for me. I would buy one sight unseen. Could Honda make one in the near future with similar EV range as the Clarity? Probably some hit on the mpg would be unavoidable.

20. jdonalds

Yes that would turn my head also. A small PHEV SUV with 50 miles EV and 300 gas would be fantastic.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  21. Dante

Dante Member

ICE Pilots have a payload and tow rating as well - we've all seen them heading on interstates with kayaks or Thule boxes on top, and hitch racks loaded with crap. Many people will tow a small trailer with motorcycles or a small moving/landscaping trailer with those SUVs. If your Pilot is just a Clarity with less EV range, sluggish acceleration, better visibility bcs of height, cannot fit in the garage, probably compromised rollover safety due to need for less weight... and another $15K or more on top of it, would you be excited to get one?

Not I...

22. jdonalds

What I would be looking for is a higher, more vertical, seating design that SUVs have. Also more cargo space behind the second row of seats; 25 Cu Ft would be a starting point. A hatchback for better cargo handling. True fold down rear seats, not the small hole of the Clarity. Beyond that I won't buy another PHEV without at least 50 miles of EV range. Acceleration isn't that big a deal for me evidenced by the fact that we had two Prius cars before the Clarity, and we drive in Econ/EV mode all the time. Won't be a problem fitting in the garage; our 4Runner fits. I doubt if it would have compromised rollover safety because the battery weight lowers the center of gravity.

I would be thrilled to move up from the Clarity sedan to a small SUV PHEV under those conditions.

The Gadgeteer and chris5168 like this.