PHEV instead of Electric if home charging a issue?

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, Apr 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

My initial plans was to purchase pure electric vehicle.

From what I have read here, you need level 2 charging at home especially during winter months.

I live in a apartment building where I will not be to add level 2 charging, just normal 120V outlet.

Would it be good idea to get PHEV instead, normal driving from spring to late fall use level 1 charging ( 120V ) and in winter months when necessary use hybrid mode?

Thinking of 2021 Ford Escape Plug-In , also has mode where you can choose to charge battery while driving

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Hello Dan,
    In your scenario a PHEV would be the better solution since you can't level 2 at home otherwise you will need to DC fast charge the vehicle most of the time and sit at chargers waiting for a charge to finish.

In my area my wife's or my commute to work is less than the range in all electric so in theory the gas engine would only be used for distance trips.

One feature to look for is that the vehicle can be operated in electric mode only while there is battery range without switching over to hybrid. Not all vehicles have this feature and I don't know if the Escape does.

My wife currently has a gas escape and we were looking at the PHEV version for when her lease is due but the PHEV version only comes in front wheel drive. The new Jeep Wrangler 4xE is PHEV and 4x4, I don't know if it can run in electric only.
    Al

4. miatadan

There is 4 Drive modes:

Auto EV - This mode provides an automatic use of high voltage battery power during the drive, staying in electric mode when possible and running the engine when needed

EV Charge - This mode uses your vehicle's engine to charge the high voltage battery versus plugging the vehicle into a utility grid.

EV Later - In EV later , your vehicle runs on the engine as needed and saves most of the available electric range for later use in Auto EV or EV Now mode.

EV Now - This mode provides an electric only driving experience. Your vehicle could accelerate slower and the top speed could be lower than when in Auto EV mode.

aamyotte likes this.
  5. gonzogeezer

gonzogeezer New Member

I just bought a BEV, my first non-ICE vehicle in 6 decades of car ownership. I only have a 120v outlet available at home for charging. But I’m okay with it because of the availability of L2 chargers in my area if needed and my mileage requirements. Plus I see the networks are continually growing and more chargers will be built closer to me going forward. For many people, the car sits for many hours a day so there is plenty of time even with only a L1 charger to recharge a battery pack full enough to safely use the next day.

I live in a condo and have started a conversation with the HOA to install community L2 chargers. It’s still early days but I’m optimistic. Also, many landlords of MUDs are being encouraged to add chargers to make their properties more attractive to potential renters. EV Match is one company that is involved in this, I’ve spoken with them about my situation, too.

6. miatadan

Also checked the 2021 Honda Clarity, there is no Electric Only mode at all

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Dunno how long your commute is, but with 37 miles, 60 kms, on electric in the summer, you might be covered. And should be able to recharge the batteries overnight on 120VAC.

In the winter you'll be using gas mostly for heat as well as range. The cold really reduces battery capacity.

The Hyundai Ioniq PHEV is another one to consider. It has very good highway gas economy if you regularly go for longer trips. It's been out for a while and has a loyal following.

9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Luckily for me my commute is 30km round trip so the lower range of PHEV will work for me. I haven't researched the PHEV much but if you can preheat the cabin on electric while plugged in like BEV that would solve the heat load for the morning part of the commute.

If only the PHEV manufacturer's would add a few more kWH to the battery pack I think more people would be eager to adopt them.

10. miatadan

My commute is 2.5km round trip and I can preheat cabin on electric when plugged in with 2021 Escape Plug-in

aamyotte and brulaz like this.
  11. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Some folks in the North put a timed electric heater in their car's cabin. But that wouldn't leave many amps for charging the battery on an 120VAC extension cord.

But the main problem with PHEVs (I've been told) is that a lotta people can't be bothered to plug them in. Which I find weird; why pay for it if you're not going to use it?

miatadan likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. miatadan

If you are not going to Plug-in, than just purchase normal hybrid

turtleturtle likes this.
  14. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

If you only have to recharge a few kms a day, I can't imagine any problems with 120VAC charging even in the Winter. And unless you wanted to also do longer trips, a BEV with a small battery would be fine.
    A PHEV would give more flexibility though.

15. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

The default mode for the Clarity is electric. True, there's no setting for Electric Only, but unless you push the HV switch, or press the throttle all the way to the floor, it uses the battery. And if you use it for acceleration, it resets to EV mode after you let off. In normal driving for me, I never have the ICE start unless I drive farther than the battery has capacity for.
    Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

miatadan likes this.
  16. miatadan

Thanks for the update, I was going by the owners manual ( pdf ) of the 2021 Honda Clarity

Dan

17. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

That's more of an issue in Europe due to the CO2 cap legislation and how European companies game the system.

In some states, rebates/tax credits can make some PHEVs cheap enough when combined with a HOV sticker to make them attractive even without charging them.

brulaz likes this.
  18. miatadan

Test drove 2021 Ford Escape Plug-In, but can not get used to how SUV drives compared to cars. Almost all my other vehicles in the past were Ford Mustang's and Mazda Miata's. Drove it for 2 hours on typical route as on day off ( 35 kms round trip ) The 2019 Jetta, had better handling than the Escape Plug-n as well.

Actually depressed right now as affordable choices in EV's so small, if you do not want to be driving SUV type of vehicle.

Dan

19. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

What about the Mini Cooper SE? It's a city car, Bev with a small battery. But doesn't sound like you want a log range highway cruiser. And your daily driving should be easily recharged with 120VAC overnight, even in the winter.

miatadan likes this.
  20. miatadan

Will look into the Mini Cooper SE and Mazda MX30 , will use the next few months to pay off credit card.

Dan

21. miatadan

Build quality seems to still be issue of Tesla Model 3 as that was my first choice (((( As it is RWD and drives closer as a sports car.

Not crazy about styling of the BMW i3 and will check out 2022 Chevy Bolt as it looks better inside and out than 2017-2020 model

Dan

22. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

MINI Cooper SE uses the same motor and batteries as the i3 but is about $10,000 cheaper. Is RWD really that much more expensive, or is it the BMW emblem?

miatadan and electriceddy like this.
  23. miatadan

Guessing part of it is the BMW emblem. Basically down to Mini Cooper SE, Mazda MX30, BMW i3 and Tesla Model 3