Pedestrian Breaking on Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dnb, Feb 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dnb

dnb Active Member

tterag likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I think I'll contact my mother-in-law, and see if I can use her for a test subject...

Note that the definition of mixed emotions is -- watching your mother-in-law drive your new car off a cliff. :rolleyes:

4. tterag

tterag Member

I remember reading in the literature somewhere that we do have pedestrian detection. It was in one of the manuals.

5. Page 428 of the owner's manual:

"Collision Mitigation Braking SystemTM (CMBSTM)
    Can assist you when there is a possibility of your vehicle colliding with a vehicle or a
    pedestrian detected in front of yours. The CMBSTM is designed to alert you when a
    potential collision is determined, as well as to reduce your vehicle speed to help
    minimize collision severity when a collision is deemed unavoidable."

dnb, tterag, MNSteve and 1 other person like this.
  6. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

There are pages of description about the workings of the system beginning on page 438 of the PDF Owners Manual.

tterag likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

If you have an interest in AI, I found it quite interesting that the manual goes on and on about the reasons a pedestrian may not be recognized - basically it is a list of things that may change their "shape" such as carrying packages or being in a group. This seems to indicate that the Honda pedestrian detection is doing shape recognition, presumably with a neural net.

This makes some sense, as the radar distance and collision mitigation usually filters out all objects with a velocity below a few miles per hour, as a way of reducing false positives due to paper bags, brush, and other small, static objects. (This is why ACC won't stop if a car is already stopped when it comes in the field of view.) If that threshold cuts most pedestrians out from being detected by radar, then they must attempt to recognize them with the visual camera.

I hope Honda doesn't get sued for discrimination at some point - apparently if you are shorter than 3' 4" (or taller than 6' 7") it may not recognize you as a human being.

9. dnb

dnb Active Member

Sweet thanks guys! Glad to see our cars come with this, hopefully its the same as the CRV which tested very well :)

10. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

If it doesn’t have good pedestrian braking then it might be good at pedestrian breaking

11. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Yes, it has a pedestrian breaking system. I had a Wal-mart zombie walk out in front of me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Why would you want a car that would automatically break pedestrians? :( :eek:

But it is indeed highly recommended that you brake for them. ;)

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Is this a result of watching too much Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead?

15. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Stoooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Braking Bad and the Waking Dead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk