Paint Protective Film Revisited

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Mar 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I know I saw a thread in the past about this - but I wanted to get some fresh opinions. I am leaning toward getting a PPF (Clear Bra) applied professionally after I take delivery. I believe it will cost between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on if I go for the “front only” or the “full hood”. One of my nephews has worked at a body repair shop for years, and he highly recommends that I have it done, and at a reputable company. (He recommended a specific one for me)

For those of you who have had PPF applied:
    • Did you do the front package or the full hood?
    • If you have bonnet stripes, did the PPF apply okay over the stripes?
    • Has your PPF held up well?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'll sell you a 1-week-used SE hood for half that price--then when that dreaded ding happens, just switch hoods! Too bad you didn't order a Moonwalk Grey MINI. But wait! If you order now, this fully scooped hood can be yours for only $300 (plus shipping and handling)! Finding space to store a 6'x4'x1.5' box is a PITA, but if you take direct delivery this boxed hood comes with its own multi-wheeled Bonnet Buggy!

upload_2021-3-11_22-5-7.png

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My PPF was done by the dealer when I bought the car as an option. I had the whole hood done, and they also did the edges of the doors. The low front-end profile of the MINI really makes it worthwhile, and I've had it done for all five of my MINIs. In fact, my previous Hardtop I bought used from the dealer had bonnet stripes but no PPF. I added the PPF and the dealer had to remove the stripes to put the PPF on, and said they could put new stripes on top of it (I never did replace them).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. GvilleGuy

I'll have to ask the company how they will handle the stripes - that is my main concern.

6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I had PPF applied to the full front (full hood, front bumper and "grille", front fenders, headlights, and mirror caps). On a previous car of similar size, I had partial coverage on the hood and managed to get rock chips further up. Never again.

Will the dealership be applying the stripes, or will they have it done at the port? If the dealership will install them, you could ask them do it after the PPF. (As long as they get the profit for the stripes + labor, they shouldn't care if they install them before or after delivery.) If that's an option for you, ask your PPF installer what they recommend.

A skilled installer should be able to apply PPF over the stripes, though I suspect it's "best" to apply stripes over PPF. My PPF was installed after the stripes because I didn't think about this consideration, and I am happy with the results. There is a very small "gap" at the edges of the stripes since the PPF can't lay completely flat at that boundary, but you have to really look to notice. On the upside, the "rounding" of those edges reduces the chance of collecting dust.
    IMG_0389.jpg

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

Perfect - that's what I was wondering about - thanks for the photo! I messaged the PPF company this morning asking about the hood stripes and what they recommend. I'm sure they have already dealt with other Minis with stripes.

MichaelC likes this.
  9. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I recommend getting the film over the stripes so that your stripes are protected from rock chips as well. We've had 3 minis done this way (with half hood coverage) and it's been fine.

10. GvilleGuy

That's good to hear. Thank you.

11. GvilleGuy

What’s the finish on the bonnet stripes? The PPF guy said that if the stripes are glossy then they would install on top of them. If they are matte finish then he recommended buying stripes without installing them and bring them and they will put the stripes on top of the PPF.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

How does everyone feel about just getting chips fixed? Mine is white and I've only found one tiny little pin prick chip from when I found myself stuck on a highway with a bunch of construction trucks for many miles. The paint is really thick!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I would say glossy/semi-glossy, but maybe someone with uncovered stripes can confirm? Here's a picture from delivery day, shortly after the stripes were applied and before PPF:
    IMG_0233D.jpeg

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. chrunck

Here's a close-up of my 2003 before I had the bumper repainted. Maybe the paint is better now, but I'd prefer to avoid this again.

[​IMG]

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Those look like glossy stripes to me, because of how they reflect light.

MichaelC likes this.
  17. GvilleGuy

That helps sell me on PPF!!

MichaelC likes this.
  18. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Yikes!! Were there any contributing factors that you know of? (Near a quarry, lots of construction, etc)

19. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I was agonizing over whether to get PPF or not to protect my newly delivered Mini. It's a big investment in money but, then again, so is a new Mini. In the end, I shelled out the 5k for a full PPF and I'm really glad I did. It looks great, protects the finish and does a good job of keeping the car clean too. The PPF I had installed is hydrophobic and so dirt washes off very easily.

I also had my racing stripes installed over the top of the PPF and there was no problem there. I've only clocked up a little under 2,000 kilometres so far but the car still looks brand new.

Personally, I think if you're going to go PPF you might as well go all in and get the full body done.

20. GvilleGuy

Thanks - that's good to know about the stripes, as well as how much you like your PPF. The full hood deal will cost me $2399, and I just can't go any higher than that. So if I do it, I'm just doing the front half.

21. chrunck

I don't remember it being too bad when I lived in L.A., but Ohio constantly had road construction going on and New Mexico is full of rocks. I've never gotten so many rock chips in my windshield as when living in NM.

22. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I ha
    I'd say paint is way better than this now. Mine was pretty pristine after almost 5 years. Even carvana found nothing on mime to point out.

23. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Fair enough. I think the front half was 3.5K and I just figured for an extra 1.5k I could get the whole thing done so I did that. I was initially thinking about getting a ceramic coating too but the full PPF removed the need for that too.

My baby post-PPF and racing stripes:

[​IMG]

bldxyz, GvilleGuy, chrunck and 3 others like this.