Official range rating 110 miles

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by DucRider, Mar 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

EPA Application:
    https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=48730&flag=1

349V, 93.2 Ah battery
    Calculated capacity of 32.5 kWh matches the reported 32.6 within rounding errors
    Reported usable capacity has been 28.9 kWh, but it took 34.3 kWh to recharge on both the UDDS (city) and Highway test cycles. This would equate to an 84% charging efficiency which is very low indeed.

Test data indicates a average voltage of 362, and 83.6 Ah used, which would equate to ~30.25 kWh usable. That would put it at ~88% efficiency which is on the low side of most test data, but not out of range.

They do indicate 230V used while charging, but that shouldn't impact efficiency

I believe the usable capacity is a bit more than the reported 28.9 kWh

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I followed your link and found different City/Highway ranges (but the same 110 mile total range and 108 MPGe). Did they change it today?

upload_2020-3-5_22-42-32.png

5. DucRider

Those aren't ranges, those are MPGe for city/hwy tests (something they think is more important for consumers to know than range apparently)

insightman likes this.
  6. insightman

Whoa, the testers' Actual Distance Driven was 166.967 miles (or was that "drive" on a dynamometer?):

upload_2020-3-5_23-9-47.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Thanks for having better reading skills than me. Did you calculate the city/hwy range numbers?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  9. DucRider

Years of seeing people look at the Monroney at shows and confuse MPGe with range. Many were shocked that the Bolt was rated for only 118 when they heard it was supposed to be over 200. Most buyers are much more concerned with range than relative efficiency, but the label requirements highlight MPGe.

Compiled test data:
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/epadata/20data.zip

Label ranges are 70% of tested results to better reflect real world averages. (Sometimes a manufacturer will voluntarily lower them further)

insightman likes this.
  10. insightman

11. DucRider

32, 33, 34
    Make sure and select the "20 EVs" sheet from the tabs at the bottom

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

Thanks so much! I kept searching the main page instead of looking for the EV tab.

[​IMG]

14. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

For ALL THOSE TURNED OFF BY THE RANGE

The Mini Cooper SE's Range Is Fine

https://jalopnik.com/the-mini-cooper-ses-range-is-fine-1841279991

Jalopnik had a nice article on those who criticize the range

Excerpts
    The average American driver spends about 27 minutes commuting to work one way. In distance, that’s just over 12 miles. Most days you go to work and come home, maybe stopping at the grocery store or swinging by the middle school to pick up your kid on the way home. If you’re only doing 30 miles of driving per day for an hour or maybe two, why would you need more than the 110 miles of range that the Mini Cooper SE provides?.......
    No, the Mini Cooper SE won’t work for you fringe cases who drive half way across Texas to get to work. But here’s the kicker, not everything is about you. And you don’t have to make it about you. This one is just for the suburbanites who park in their own garage every night and work just a few miles from home.

We need to have a conversation about what exactly electric vehicles are for, and how we travel as humans. No, EVs aren’t for everyone yet. But they are excellent at filling some of our needs all of the time, or all of our needs some of the time.

All I need to know about the Mini is that it’s a Mini.

insightman likes this.
  15. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Another article , this time from Car and Driver

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30689865/2020-mini-cooper-se-drive/

The Electric Mini Cooper SE Is About More Than Just Range

Steer the Cooper SE onto an on-ramp, and it hangs on ferociously. It wouldn't be a surprise if, in terms of sheer grip, this is the most capable Mini.

.....Sometimes a low base price applies only to a stripped-down model that nobody really buys, but the Cooper SE's entry-level Signature trim includes almost everything anyone would want: LED headlights, heated seats, navigation, Apple CarPlay, heated mirrors and washer jets, black leatherette upholstery, camera-based automatic emergency braking, and 16-inch wheels. Signature Plus ($34,750) adds 17-inch wheels, power folding mirrors, rear-park distance control, a panoramic moonroof, and an upgraded Harman-Kardon sound system. The Iconic trim ($37,750) brings a head-up display, a bigger central touchscreen, and wireless charging (for your phone, not the car), along with some trivial frippery such as a leather steering wheel that's different from the standard leather steering wheel. The only common option that's conspicuously absent across the board is adaptive cruise control. You know, the Leaf offers adaptive cruise control.

16. insightman

Other MINI Coopers can have ACC, why not include it as part of the top "Iconic" trim package?

17. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

Just for grins, today I hypermiled our SE for 20 miles (I drove the speed limit) and only used 11% battery.

Im looking forward to 70 degree weather. I want to try for a 200 mile charge.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    SmartElectric and insightman like this.
  18. Matt Shumaker

We already have 500 miles on our SE.

SmartElectric and insightman like this.
  19. insightman

That's what happens to fun-to-drive cars. Are you always fully charging your MINI Electric at this point? Can you fit your professional tools into the MINI?

20. Matt Shumaker

We typically charge to 90%.

My equipment for work would fit if I needed to use the Mini for work. I normally need more range than that for my work day though.

insightman likes this.
  21. As part of the InsideEVs MINI Cooper SE road trip to the race track video series, we did a range test that saw us run completely out of juice.
    We got 138 miles to a single charge, which is about 20% better than the EPA rating. You can watch the video below with all the info regarding conditions and speed, etc.

SmartElectric likes this.
  22. Matt Shumaker

I watched that video a couple hours ago. I found essentially the same thing.

Domenick likes this.
  23. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

The thing that impressed me the most is how the Mini SE has similar efficiency to the Tesla Model 3, and that the range test ended within a few cm of the charging cord length, whew, amazing "planning".

Domenick likes this.