North American Virtual Premiere

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by E-Shark, May 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Let's not hold our collective breath.

"Since launching the Ioniq 5 on Feb. 25, Hyundai Motor has received about 43,000 preorders, but only about 200 have been delivered so far, as of the second week of May, industry data showed."

*The Korea Herald

3. I think that's somewhat misleading. AFAIK the only ones they've even started delivering are the Project 45 units and not even in all the places they were offered. If memory serves, general availability even in Korea won't be until this summer (again, my memory might be wrong on this)

4. I neglected this quote from the article.

"Hyundai Motor’s initial target timeline was to build 10,000 units of the Ioniq 5 last month"

This is the more telling statistic.

5. I presume they didn't build that many? (Build != Deliver) One wonders how much of that is also due to the chip shortage and other supply chain issues that most of the industry is facing.

Anyway, I agree deliveries, when they start in earnest, won't be up to the desired rate but manufacturing industry in general is chaos right now so it'll be what it'll be :) That there's so much apparent interest, in any case, is a good sign for the general trend toward electrification

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Yes. It was about chips, motor units and labour strife. And, I'm sure, other Covid supply line issues.

8. restyler likes this.
  9. restyler

restyler Active Member

Your launch was a lot flashier than the European version from February :)

Although they never implicitly said it, looks its only going to have the large 77KW version.

Now about the "NEW" subscription model of buying - surely that's just the same as a lease
    .... (or is it different as it also includes insurance)?
    Screen Shot 05-24-21 at 09.00 PM.PNG

10. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. From the premiere (22:10), we learned that the rollout in the U.S. is not going to be 50 states at once, but it isn't just the ZEV states either. Hyundai North America CEO Jose Munoz says Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Georgia, North Carolina, and Arizona will also be included in the first phase.

Also, they have teamed with Electrify America and will offer two years of free charging, available to drivers in 30-minute sessions.

electriceddy likes this.
  13. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Nothing on Hyundai Canada website yet....

14. I hope the same will be applied to Electrify Canada. Although the network is still under development through out the majority of the country, there is a new 350 kW charger about 5 kms from my home.:)

[​IMG]

Domenick likes this.
  15. Yeah, but we get free charging at Petro Canada, 350kW, chargers for one year (for all EVs) with the RBC card.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. That should time out perfectly- 3 years fast charging :)

mho and R P like this.
  17. The Ioniq 5 looks pretty nice. But unless I get some kind of generous buy-out or trade-in for my Kona, no way I could justify getting one.