New MINI App accepts VIN while at Southampton port, sends code to my car!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Chicago, May 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Chicago

Chicago Member

I have tried to enter my VIN into the new app several times in the past couple days--hoping to catch my MINI while it was 'on' at the factory or while being checked out or loaded.

It gave an error message every time.

Now, at the Southampton port for the second day, it accepted my VIN, asked if I was the primary driver, and sent a confirmation code to my MINI!

Too bad I have no way of remotely retrieving that code.

vehicle security code.png

MiniSER likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Noice! Kind of cool to know that your MINI is actually "alive" now.

Chicago likes this.
  4. Chicago

Chicago Member

Even better, it populated the VIN to the old app, and the old app tells you it is a 6 digit code consisting of 0-9 and lets you try as many six digit numbers as you want without re-setting. I tried 30 so far on the old app and it keeps asking for more.

So, do I want ask my MIT grad to create an IOS program capable of generating all 999,999 possible codes in 3 hours?

Probably... but not today. old app.png

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Careful, it'd be tragic to lock yourself out of your car before you even see it.

Chicago likes this.
  6. Chicago

Chicago Member

Exactly what my daughter said: Bad dad! No.

She suspects that the app is very forgiving for the initialization, and then gets tougher, requiring the code to be reset after a few failed attempts.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Lainey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Generating the codes is not the issues - you just need a counter (by the way, there are 1,000,000 codes, not 999,999 because 000000 is presumably a valid code). The trick is getting that app to communicate with the mini app and put the value into that field and hit send.

9. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

The app doesn't work for me. Maybe I need a new phone.

Attached Files:

10. Chicago

Chicago Member

To enter the VIN for the first time in the IOS app the car has to be ON. I was surprised that it auto-populated the VIN to the old IOS app.

11. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I can't even get past the MR. or Miss part.

12. To remove this ad click here.