New display audio software update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bill Carter, Feb 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My latest monthly "vehicle health report" sent by Hyundai Motor America mentions that there is a recent update as of February 17 to update display audio software. I've verified that it supersedes the version currently installed in my Kona and have downloaded it, but I'm stymied as to how to successfully install it. The version for the 2020 Kona EV is OSEV20.USA.SOP.V115.201030. Has anyone done the download and successfully installed it? Following instructions on the update guide page seems to lack crucial information.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Reports have shown Version ....201029 was a flop:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2020-2021-10-25-inch-avn-unit-update.9951/page-2#post-116127
    so hopefully V....201030 has an improvement. Can't help you with loading instructions, but if you decide to go ahead and attempt the install please let us know the results. I don't even know if the drive type is flash (CF) or thumb (SSD).:confused:

4. I've done several updates on my 2019.
    Download, put the download on the SD card and insert into the car, done.

As far as I understand the process is the exact same for the 2020 with one difference: use a thumb drive instead of the SD card.

5. You're right, a USB thumb drive is required. The dilemma comes in getting ducks in a row in order to have the car's computer recognize installable files. The download arrives as a series of nested folders, at least that's the case on my Mac laptop. Instructions are to copy the outermost DAUDIO folder to the thumb drive and then proceed. This failed several times with the car saying that no data was available. I then began moving inner folders out to the root level, with the same result each successive time. I finally removed all files contained in shell folders so that they were at root level and tried that, but again the computer could not find what it needed. This awkward method worked ok for previous updates by USB, with the car finally recognizing the initial file needed to begin. All I can consider now is a phone call (groan.)

6. That's a disappointment. Strangely enough I never had any of those problems. Although the downloader/installer was never able to copy the filters to my SD card. It always failed so I had to copy them manually each time. Worked fine though.

Sorry it's such a pain in your case. It's great they went to USB but somehow something must be broke.

Which reminds me, did you format the stick correctly? I believe it has to be FAT32. I think they also insist on certain size sticks but I might confused that with the size of SD card.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Again, you're correct regarding those requirements. The drive is formatted in the FAT32 format and has a capacity far exceeding the minimum recommended. Thanks for helping think through the issue, though.

9. I know this sounds stupid but I think others had problems with "too big" thumb drives.

Just trying to pin down the problem.

10. Huh, well that's interesting to hear. I can try the install with a smaller capacity thumb. I think I have something available. Thanks Esprit1st.

Esprit1st likes this.
  11. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

That is TRUE ... the USB Stick MUST be 64GB ... I had that exact issue - tried using my 125GB USB drive .. It refused to install the update. I contacted MapNSoft support, and they told me specifically it must be 64GB ... nothing else.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks Tim. Seems inane but it that's what is required, I'll give it a try.

14. Update on this topic: I bought a 64 GB thumb drive, hoping that it would do the trick, but sad to say, it didn't solve the issue. I uncovered all files from enclosing folders within the primary DAUDIO folder but the car still reports that it can't see what it needs. If anyone else decides to do this installation and succeeds, please share your procedure.

15. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I always use the "NAVIGATION UPDATER" to install to my USB drive ... it does all the requisite USB formatting & copying of the files. Have you tried using THAT rather than manually copying the files to the USB drive???? The NAVIGATION UPDATER is something that gets downloaded & installed on your computer. Then you launch THAT to set things up properly.

16. Thanks Tim94549, I'm giving it a go right now.

17. That thing NEVER worked for me. It always stopped copying the files. However I then manually copied the files out of it's temp download folder onto my SD card. That always worked for me.

18. Unless I'm mistaken, the Navigation Updater is used solely for installation of a navigation update package, the last one being in November. At that time I managed to download and successfully install it (the one that a lot of forum participants have griped about.) The update that I've been wrestling with is not a nav update but a February 17 update for display audio software. As far as I can tell, the update package for it doesn't use the Navigation Updater, which makes sense since it doesn't update Navigation. It is directly downloaded from this web page https://update.hyundai.com/US/EN/updateNoticeView/299/pop1. The list of eligible vehicles is at the bottom and includes the '19 and '20 Kona EVs.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  19. Interesting. Where did you find that? I'll check with my software next week when I have time after my work week.

20. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

What things, does it change Bill Carter?

21. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Hmm ... I guess I misread what you were trying to install. Yes, that NAV INSTALLER is for the Navigation/Maps software. I didn't know about that other update for the DISPLAY/AUDIO ... I need to check that one out ...

If anyone has been successful - what changed in this update?????

22. This worked for me on my US 2019 SEL. My previous software version was OSEV.USA.SOP.V098.180809. I used an 8 GB flash drive formatted as FAT32/Master Boot Record, and copied the DAUDIO folder (not its contents individually) to the root of the flash drive. I connected the flash drive to the USB port in the center console, then turned on the car, navigated through to the update button and it detected and upgraded fine. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes. No obvious changes other than that the legalese prompt when you first turn on the car now notes that "This vehicle stores and may transmit vehicle data to Hyundai. Please visit: hyundaiusa.com/owner-privacy-policy.aspx". I have had a few issues in the past with garbled/static-y audio from CarPlay and CarPlay displaying a black screen (I think the latter may have had something to do with the sequence of plugging in the phone and putting the car in reverse), so hopefully those and any other gremlins are resolved. Thanks for finding this!

electriceddy likes this.
  23. Did you double check the current version number of your car?
    My car is currently on OSEV.USA.SOP.V120.201013.
    The version for download is OSEV.USA.SOP.V115.201029.
    It looks to me that the version for download is not the newest one. Maybe your car is rejecting a downgrade?