New Canadian Battery recall Info Update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Jul 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Went to my dealer today to find out when I should get my appointment for the $250.00 visa card. They actually did the process and I will get my card in 2 months maybe. I'm on their list to get a new battery and they have been replacing them as fast as they get them in I will get mine soon.
    Now here is the breaking news for Canadians All owners will be getting the $250.00 PLUS Back dated to June 2021 owners will receive $5.00 a day until they have a new Battery replaced in their car up to $850.00 maximum good news I live in Victoria BC Canada...
    Great news So things are involving be patient...

navguy12, Wildeyed and Shawn Schinkel like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You're saying your dealer has already been replacing batteries on non-bricked cars as a matter of course and as a recall remedy without further testing?

I like the news about the card but I'll believe it when I see it. And mid-June? That's months after most people had the work done.

ehatch likes this.
  4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Yes He has 3 batteries sitting in the shop now to be put in. The $5.00 a day card is brand new. for people who have to wait now I figure mine will be done in 2 to 3 months

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Wildeyed likes this.
  5. Did you (or any other owners at that dealership) get a "second letter" outlining the "remedy"?

6. So we'll earn $850 if we don't get a new battery by Tuesday, October 12th. Or from 20 or 30 to 60 days after October 12th. ;(

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

NO I was there today and he had a list for his shop. I'm 17 down

9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

From June 1st 2021...$5.00 till $850.00 arrives That's now could be extended. Just to clearify I was told this today and apparently it just came out

10. Not that Hyundai would ever inform its customers though. I mean, why start now?

My God, they are piece of work. Hopeless communications department. You'd think I'd learn. :(

apu likes this.
  11. GPM432 - are you about the local Victoria dealer?
    If so I was talking with them last week and they said there would be only 4 battery swaps a month and they were still waiting for batteries. They also said that HMC was dictating the replacements by serial number, so the oldest cars were being done first.
    The words "HYUNDAI" and "communications" don't seem to belong in the same sentence.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The oldest cars at THAT dealership? The oldest cars in BC? The oldest cars in the country? I don't buy it. Doesn't make sense logistically. I'd be happy if it did since mine is a Dec.2018 build. But...

14. Wildeyed - I can't say for sure, I'm thinking that if it's by serial number it wouldn't matter where the car is located it would just be starting with the lowest serial number. Now whether that is lowest number car or battery SN is another question. Our car build is 28 Dec 2018 and the battery is 27 Dec 2018 so in theory we should be in the first batch.
    We're also in Victoria so I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what story I get.

Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  15. Wow that's the closest I have seen up till now, they must have been torqueing the mounting bolts as the car was being prepared to load on the transport vessel:D

EVatLast likes this.
  16. Talked to the service desk this morning, he doesn't know of any list---- surprise---- and doesn't have any timings of battery arrivals or info on the $5 a day thing. Less than impressed. This service desk that seems less than interested in finding out any other info, he tried to pass me up the chain but the voice mail wasn't even the person I was supposed to talk to.
    GPM432 - Was it the service desk you were talking with or someone higher up?

17. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

My car built date is Dec. 20, 2018, so I should hear
    even sooner, but I'm not holding my breath!!

18. December 21st. Right behind you!

19. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Sounds too good to be true. To be frank, some Canadian Kona EV owners had yet to even get their $250 for 80% charge settings. Now I hear news that Hyundai is throwing $850....I'll believe it when I see it. Not even sure if they will try this in the US (oh in the US, we only got $200).

20. $200 USD is $250 CDN.

21. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

That sounds right to me I saw the list there were about 30 to 35 people on the list

22. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

All along I say seeing is believing as well but just some more info to digest. We don't know who has batteries replaced lots of people don't go on this type of forum.

Wildeyed likes this.
  23. I agree completely that we definitely suffer from a very fractured sense of what is/may be going on. That's why we glom on to every scrap of new and even rumoured info, such as yours. I blame Hyundai and I think I'm right to do so as they could be much more open and organized in their communications. I hope what your dealer is telling you is true. And I hope you'll keep us in the loop too.

I will also point out that Transport Canada has no record of ANY battery swaps yet. That may be updated on July 30th in Hyundai's quarterly report.

Reports here of people getting appointments for the battery swap or software fixes are interesting but are still only appointments. I'll be very curious to see them panning out but will try not to be surprised if they don't.