NAV map updates soon free?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Raleigh Ron, May 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

Seems like the Kia map updates have dropped dramatically in price. Didn't they used to be over $100? Now, for just $25 you can get an update at the old mapnsoft.com website.

But if you can wait, Kia is building a brand new software update website at update.kia.com. If you go there now, you can read about getting the latest software update free, but the ability to download it right now is turned off. I've heard the download utility may be available in July.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for sharing this.

4. Excellent news, Ron. One of the peeves was how other Kia's could update software but the Niro EV appeared to be off the list. Thank you!

5. CanuckTom

CanuckTom Member

This is great news, just wish I saw this post earlier this week.. I just ordered the latest update from mapnsoft ‍♂️. Anyways, hopefully for the next update.

I know I made a comment to both my dealer and Kia Corporate after I was told when I purchased my Niro in June last year that the map would have automatic updates through the LTE connection. I was furious after I found out that not only was the OTA updating map not true, but that map updates were were to cost north of $200 CAD each, to both update maps and software. I told them both that Tesla and other manufacturers were we're going to eat their lunch with issues like this, and I wouldn't likely be purchasing another Kia unless they changed their service on this issue. Especially for early adopters of their EV's with charging networks just being established, lack of infotainment and especially maps and charger locations is just totally unacceptable.

Tom

6. scooterjm

scooterjm New Member

I'm curious - what is the latest version of maps everyone has on their SD card vs. the new updates available from Kia? We took delivery of a 2019 EX Premium last week and it has:

NAM.12.47.44.510.105.4

The SD card says : 96554-Q4112

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2020 Niro EV
    NAM.12.47.47.551.204.4

the update site still does nothing after several months

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. March 31 to today, over 3 months.... come on Kia!

10. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Still patiently waiting...

11. not very patient, since I bought first one in San Diego, and already map is out of date.

Greg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Was able to download and install the program. Run it and access as GUEST. Now downloading the 7 gigabyte file!

14. Well, the free update site is finally live... http://update.kia.com/US/EN/Main

Got the installation program for windows and installed.

Then you run it, and you can sign in to the Kia Red program, or others, or continue as a guest, continue as a guest is the way to go.

Then there is another offer to sign up, do it later.

Now you can select your vehicle and download to a flash drive directly from the program, it even indicates that it formats the drive.

Did all that...

Now you are supposed to put the flash drive in the car and use the setup menu... software update... and it should begin updating...

nope, sits there and plays the .wav files that are in the flash... you can see apk files and other stuff, so the next trick is to get it to update.

Sigh.....

15. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

I still can't get the software to download.

16. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

the issue for me is when I try to download the software installer from Kia, the "GRAND OPENING" flag pops up and there's no ability to download the installer...

17. uhhh..... in the upper right corner of the "flag", known as a popup, there is an "X" which is like the "X" in the upper right corner of all windows boxes, which means close....

close the popup and you can proceed.... turn off your popup blockers, etc. of course.

Greg

18. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Doesn't work on Firefox, Chrome, or IE.

EDIT: Are you able to upload the installer for Windows onto your website?

19. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

20. Let me know how it goes...

Greg

21. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

That Installer is in Chinese. Is that what you experienced as well?