Multiple Beeps with Auto Lock Function On

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Scottacus, Mar 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member

I've noticed that on several occasions the autolock feature will give a series of short beeps to let me know that the car is not locking because the car thinks something is wrong (like the key fob was left in the car, door ajar...). None of these are the cause in my encounter with this issue. I read online that carrying your key fob in the same pocket as your cell phone can cause issues because of the phone's near field feature. I'll try this and see if it makes a difference.

Is anyone else having this issue with their Clarity and if so what has worked for you?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

For whatever reason, you either A) left the 5 foot circle too quick, or B) when the last door shut the system still thought your keys were inside (ie too close).

Unfortunately the system isn’t perfect and err’s on the side of caution in deciding if the keys might still be inside.

Also the system checks some proximity of the key only every x seconds. Likely 1-3 seconds of something. It’s a trade-off. They could make it check every 1/10th of a second, but then your key fob battery would die very quick. Anyone with a key fob who has left it in a car over the weekend knows how quick it can drain when it is being queried 24 hours a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Scottacus likes this.
  4. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

For whatever reason, you either A) left the 5 foot circle too quick, or B) when the last door shut the system still thought your keys were inside (ie too close).

Unfortunately the system isn’t perfect and err’s on the side of caution in deciding if the keys might still be inside.

Also the system checks some proximity of the key only every x seconds. Likely 1-3 seconds of something. It’s a trade-off. They could make it check every 1/10th of a second, but then your key fob battery would die very quick. Anyone with a key fob who has left it in a car over the weekend knows how quick it can drain when it is being queried 24 hours a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member

Since I made this post I've entered and exited the car about 50 times and the one time that the multiple beeps happened was when my Samsung Galaxy s7 was in the same pocket as the keys, the other 49 times it was in the opposite pocket. This looks like a cell phone near field effect problem.

6. DVoran

DVoran Member

Interesting. I've noted this happening whenever I get out of the car and immediately move towards the rear (to open the trunk). Doesn't happen at all when moving towards the front of the vehicle once I get out. At first I thought it was when I left the rear door open after closing the front door. Has also happened in a locked car after opening the trunk. The common entity for me is when I'm towards the rear of the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member