March 1st Autopilot crash

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, May 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/349982/nhtsa-tesla-autopilot-model-3-death-video/

Preliminary findings indicate the Autopilot system was indeed on at the time of the fatal crash involving a Model 3. The accident occurred in Delray Beach, Florida back on March 1, 2019. . . .

Missing from the article is the firmware versions and updates:
    • March 1 - fatal accident occurs, Version ??
    • March 26 - I took delivery of my Model 3 Standard Range Plus, Version 5.15
    • April 4 - first references to Model 3, Version 8.5, in Tesla Motors Club forum
    I hope someone passes this on to ERIC LOVEDAY.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Late thought, this is the second semi-trailer crash in about 3 years. It is hard to claim this is a pattern but then the Boeing 737-MAX only had two crashes before the fleet was grounded. I was pointing out that the version of software is a problem the analysts will have to work out.

One clue is setting dynamic cruise control, the current version 8.5 by default sets the cruise control speed to the posted speed limit. This speed can be adjusted by operating the cruise control trim wheel before entering auto steer. Furthermore, the dynamic cruise control speed can be set before entering AutoPilot self-steering. We'll need to know more details about the timing of these two.

Bob Wilson