Map Update > "Updating 1/5 .." Hangs forever

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Sep 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

So I attempted to run the latest MAP update and it just seems to hang on pass 1 of 5 .. Pic attached. I've tried this 2 times now - each time letting the process run for over 2 hours with the car in the "ON" position.

Anyone else see this? If you ran the update, how long did you let it run?

Thanks 20200911_090537.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My latest update took maybe 10-15 minutes. Although the update program failed to format the sd card. So it hung itself trying to save the data into the card since there was not enough space on it.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

That was sort of my expectation ... Strange that it is hanging like this ... I've opened a ticket with the MAP peeps. We'll see what they have to say..

Anyone have the version of the latest MAP update?

5. I updated a few days ago.
    Working great despite the mentioned problem.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

OK, this is bazaar and the response from the MAP peeps is equally strange. They are telling me that we MUST used a 64GB USB drive for this update. (I had used a 512GB USB drive - assuming bigger is better! The LAST update I did I used a 128GB drive - and it updated just fine). Anyway, this has now hosed my Mulitmedia Screen. It is just spinning away on the "Update in Process 1/5" ... I have removed the USB drive (after HOURS of letting it run). I've turned the car OFF. They are supposed to get back to me as soon as they have some technical guidance for me ... In the meantime, be careful out there with the NEW update procedure. YMMV

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Does the 20 model multimedia unit have a reset button? Also could try disconnecting the 12 V negative lead from the battery for a few minutes.

Esprit1st likes this.
  9. Just to be on the safe side I would try the old 128GB stick since you know it worked. Make sure to format it correctly. It has to be formatted with ext32 according to their website install instructions.

You can copy the files manually (I did that since the updater didn't format my sd card and crashed)

As mentioned in the post before, try the reset and apply the update again.

This is supposed to be only a map update, no system updates at all. I noticed that the map version was updated even without hitting update (only inserting my sd card seemed to be enough on the 2019 model). I did it anyways and it worked fine in my case.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just went to check status of the "hanging 1 of 5" issue .. After idling overnight (car Turned OFF), it finally stopped. I am definitely still at the old version of the MAP version - which is FINE btw. At least it's all working again. But I am now gun shy about these updates. I need to buy a 64GB USB Drive for future updates. Crazy that they suggest a 512GB USB DRIVE "won't work" ... but whatever...

electriceddy likes this.
  11. greinstein

greinstein New Member

Try copying the original sd card to your hard drive, as a backup, then format and use that sd card for the update. I've done that for the past year's updates, including the new process, and it worked fine.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tim's car is a 2020 model and does not have an SD slot like the 2019 models, owners must use a 64 GB USB thumb drive to update the media system;)
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/navigation-system-with-map-update.5858/page-9#post-107717

14. I tried a 64 GB SD card when I did my last update on my 2019 model and had zero luck, had to revert back to a 32 GB:confused: which worked fine. At least your system recovered from "stupid mode".:D

15. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

As Electriceddy pointed out, the 2020 MY now uses a USB Drive ... there is no longer an SD slot. My only beef with all this is that the MapnSoft process "recommends" a 64GB USB drive.. Note "recommends" ... they should be more specific if it's going to FAIL and say "REQUIRES". I was thinking that anything larger than 64GB should work fine ... but alas, it created a nightmare for me... I was just glad it worked itself out and at least gave me back my Multimedia screen. Otherwise I would have had to visit the dealership. I ordered a 64GB USB drive from ebay and am waiting arrival to try this mess again.

16. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Update: After getting a 64GB USB Drive and retrying this exercise, it in fact WORKED !! So lesson learned -- make sure to use a 64GB card.