Manual Recommends Adding 4 PSI More to Winter Tires - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by DamnIHateThat, Jan 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

Hi,

The Niro EV manual states "Snow tires should carry 28 kPa (4 psi) more air pressure than the pressure recommended for the standard tires on the tire label on the driver's side of the center pillar, or up to the maximum pressure shown on the tire sidewall, which-ever is less."

I am thinking that this is related more to efficiency than it is to traction. And I care more about traction than efficiency on my daily drives, so I have not added the extra 4 PSI to the winter tires. On a long winter trip with good road conditions I might consider adding air to the tires.

Does this make sense or should I increase the tire pressures as recommended?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blue_door

blue_door Member

Technically, the higher the tire pressure, the more resistance to hydroplaning.

4. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

Oh that makes sense. I was thinking about traction on icy roads. Do you bump up the tire pressures?

5. blue_door

blue_door Member

I chose comfort and lowered my tire pressure to 33 PSI to soften the ride. Efficiency didn't take much of a hit, surprisingly. As for hydroplaning, the tires themselves do a great job. Where I live, I don't get much snow so I can't speak about that aspect.

6. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Remember that as the temperature drops the air pressure inside the tires will drop as well. Nissan suggests 36psi for the Leaf. This will drop to under 30 in really cold temps and sometimes enough that the low pressure warning comes on. I top up with a bicycle pump as things get colder.

7. To remove this ad click here.