MA owners: did your dealer give you EV plates?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AaD, May 31, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AaD

AaD Member

We picked up our Clarity here in Massachusetts today, and it has standard plates rather than the EV plates I assumed it would. The dealer was completely clueless - the salesman had never heard of them, manager immediately went into defensive mode, and their RMV person claimed they were only for 100% electric vehicles, even though I see them on every Volt and Prius Prime I see. I don't think it is going to be a big deal/expense to have them changed out at the RMV, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience, and if I should hassle them for the cost - or if it is just my mistake for not asking in the first place. We want them not just for the cool factor but because they were designed to alert first responders in the event of an accident. They sure seemed like they have no interest in selling these cars...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

This is state-specific. I also am in MA. As I understand it, you can—but are not required to—get an EV plate here. It doesn’t cost extra, and doesn’t get you anything special, except the alert to first responders as you say. I bought on a Saturday and wasn’t sure new plates would go smoothly, so I just transferred my tradein’s plates on onto the Clarity (so they are not EV plates). That saved me $20, as no new plates, also. I personally don’t mind not having EV plates.
    I suppose the dealer should have offered the option to you, but they didn’t mention it to me either.

4. seonachan

seonachan New Member

When I asked about it, I was told I would get regular plates because it was a lease (not sure of the logic of that part), and that getting EV plates would be extra time and hassle, and cost $60. I was anxious to pick up the car but I kept thinking about the scenario, however unlikely, where a first responder gets injured or killed from the high voltage, so I pushed for the EV plates. It took them a few more hours but I got to pick up the car on the expected day, and wasn't charged extra (I think the guy assumed they were like vanity plates).

I guess Honda dealer employees aren't used to this request. Contrast that with my experience buying a used Leaf last year, from a Nissan dealer. I had all the other typical EV experiences (knowing more about the car than the sales people etc), but when it came to the registration the guy just said "I assume you want an EV plate." I nodded and it was done just like that.

5. AaD

AaD Member

Thanks for the replies. We'll switch it out when we have the time and chalk it up to the consequences of buying a car the dealer doesn't know much about. I will send them a "correction" though, as anyone buying this car is likely to want the plate as it doesn't cost anything and was brought out as a public safety measure.

6. tdiman

tdiman Member

Our dealer was out in MA. It's $20 to switch. Get a realID while you're there... Save a trip later.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

tdman, can you explain the process please? Do I walk into the rmv with my current plates and walk out with the EV plates, or is there some online or paper transaction first? I worry about the hassle of unscrewing my regular plates and then being met by blank looks from the RMV people.

9. tdiman

tdiman Member

I'm waiting for my passport renewal before I go so I can do the real id thing... As I understand you just need registration and the old plates. Not much info online other than saying the AAA branches and such won't have them. I'll write back once I go.

10. tdiman

tdiman Member

Finally did this... Contact your insurance company and get a plate swap form filled out from them, form rmv-3. They should be familiar. Mine emailed it next day to me. Then you just walk in with your registration, no need to bring old plates.

Check wait times online... We did 2 ID transactions and the plate swap in ~1h.

11. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

That’s good to know. I’ll make my own attempt after the summer.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

OP You got screwed by self-centred employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Tom H

Tom H New Member

I did get EV plates from the dealer but had to wait for them to go to the RMV. In MA dealers can issue new regular plates themselves but not EV. They sent their "runner" to the RMV.

15. BrettB

BrettB New Member

I had a similar experience - I was not transferring a plate so told the dealer (Boch in Westford, MA) that I wanted EV plates. Initial reaction was similar to what others have reported: I was told I don't need them, that they will cost extra, etc. Fortunately, I'd done my research and could confidently tell them I had checked the RMV web site - the vehicle WAS eligible, the idea was to inform first-responders (not vanity), they do NOT cost extra, and bottom line this was what I wanted. They told me they don't stock them and would have to send someone to the registry - which is probably the real reason for the reluctance, but is in the end Not My Problem; this is part of what I'm paying them for, after all.

In the end, when I picked up the car, it DID have my EV plate as requested. I thanked them for getting me one and was told "oh, yeah, turns out we did have them here after all". :rolleyes:

16. AaD

AaD Member

They probably got them after my confrontation with them back in June.

17. GRAMMY3

GRAMMY3 New Member

I work as a registry clerk at a Mass dealership and I just want to say, not all dealers carry EV plates. We actually were not allowed to have them in inventory when they first came out. I just ordered some to have for our customers. We wanted to see what kind of demand we would have for EV plates. I think in the last year we've only had about 3 customers request them. We have to order a minimum of 27. Not everyone is aware of the EV plates, including salespeople, but my salespeople will be informed that we have these plates and will be asked to offer them to our Hybrid/Electric customers.

18. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

I picked up my EV plates at the Mass RMV office in Watertown yesterday. I brought the RMV-3 form that my insurance agent supplied and my existing registration form. I waited about 15 minutes, paid $20, and was done. They told me it would be OK to drive home with my old plates, and to destroy them once I had mounted the new ones.

I don't know how real the first responder issue is, but the plates definitely look cool. In a fair world they would be good for getting onto the HOV lane and getting free rides on the Pike.

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I finally broke down and googled the MA EV license plate. Here's what it looks like for people like me who don't live in the Make It Yours state. I live in Pure Michigan, home of the Motor City, not the Electric Motor City--no EV plates here.

upload_2019-1-17_17-52-6.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  20. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Yep, that's it. That ungrounded 120V plug doesn't look so safe, but I guess a NEMA 14-50 would be a little esoteric for license plate art.

BTW, I've lived in MA for over thirty years and I never heard or saw "Make It Yours" until just now. I guess it's better than our NH neighbors' suicidal Live Free or Die.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I had to look it up; I'd never heard it before, either. I wonder how many meetings it took before the attendees decided it was uniquely representative of Massachusetts?

22. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Pretty lame, but nothing beats "Virginia Is For Lovers". That one is not only mysterious, but especially tone deaf in light of the coincidentally named landmark Supreme Court case Loving v. Virginia, which established the legality of interracial marriage against a state ban.

There was another court case testing whether a state has the right to put its slogans on license plates in light of the First Amendment's guaranty against compelled speech. I think the "Live Free Or Die" state won that one, on the basis that while we own our cars, they own the plates.

What I wish they would put on the Electric Vehicle plates: "Charge!"

23. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

One dealership put regular plates on and another put EV plates on.
    Both Mass dealers and leases.
    Luck of the draw.