Lowered/Stiffer Suspension

Discussion in 'Honda' started by simple, Sep 9, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. simple

simple New Member

Attempted to search but could not find if topic was discussed already. Looking to improve the handling of my Clarity. Any options?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The simplest way to improve handling is to install high performance tires. The size of Clarity's tires 235/45/18 is compatible with even the highest performance summer tires. The OEM tires, although pretty much the best for green tires, emphasize range and mileage so they don't do as well for handling and braking. Replacing the OEM tires with high performance A/S tires (the kind they install on BMWs and Audis) will improve handling, braking, and likely bad weather performance. They will definitely make the car safer and more fun to drive. Someone in the forum who has done this said you will lose about 10% of range and Hv mileage though.

4. I’ve been searching myself. Has anyone found a solution? Been researching honda parts database, looks like the rear shocks are hybrid of same year accords. Not so much for the fronts. Unless they are physically the same but have different part numbers because the clarity is a heavier car, therefore, the shocks and springs are beefier. ‍♂️

5. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

My previous car was a 2017 Civic Si. Same size wheels and tires. With base tires, it was capable of 0.95g, if memory serves. Goodyear Eagle F1?

It weighed 29xx pounds.

In 25k miles I averaged 37.7mpg. Not bad for a road hugging beast with a governor at 137mph.

If it were available with a DCT & ACC, I would still have it. It had adaptive dampers and rode about the same as the Clarity in stock damper setting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4-S.htm

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Clarity isn't made for being a "handling" race car. It's made for energy and gas saving car, hence the shape of the vehicle. More of a normal commuter/family car. Not a sport car. Changing the tires would give you shitty energy and gas mileage might as well buy a different car at that point. It will also void out any warranty on the car, be careful.
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app

9. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Mileage may get reduced by 1% - 4% depending on tires according to this:
    https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/fuel-efficient-tires/

5.7% between 2 tires tested by CR:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/do-low-rolling-resistance-tires-improve-fuel-economy/

So assuming 5% loss and I drive 99% of time in EV mode at Ontario electricity rates I’d have to pay C$0.0273/km vs. C$0.026/km or an extra C$0.0013/km. At 10000km/yr for my case that’s $13/year for ultra high performance summer tires that have extremely shorter braking distances, in this test summer tires under wet conditions @60 mph was 57 feet shorter = can be life or death and all other performance dimensions better except in snow & ice of course.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html
    The gap increases with the top performing Michelin Pilot Sport S. Very material safety and handling gained is worth the $13 penalty for me. Your mileage may vary, literally!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

It would definitely decrease electric range and fuel economy somewhat. However it wouldn’t do so to “shitty” levels and definitely wouldn’t void any warranties other than the ones for the OEM tires...

The replacement version of factory tire is warrantied for treadware for 65000 miles.
    I will define that as life of the tire. Over the life of the tire Michelin claims you will save $400 of fuel cost at $3.75 per gallon. This would result in a savings of 106.7 ($400/$3.75) gallons of fuel over 65000 miles or .164 gallons per 100 miles. This would mean going from 44mpg down to 41mpg a 6.8% reduction. On the electric side your range would be estimated to drop from 47 miles to 43.8 miles. So, definitely detrimental, and definitely something I wouldn’t choose to do but it isn’t going to ruin the car.
    723F4241-E8F8-4033-85F2-9D1BA4EAB28A.jpeg

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  11. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Now one thing I am interested in is how does DRAMATICALLY increasing grip like this affect your ACC and CMBS. In theory the car will be programmed to intervene sooner as it expects longer stopping distances with the factory tires. This may increase distance the car stops prior to hitting the vehicle in front of it. Mind you for LRR tires the Michelin’s are one of the very best.

12. To remove this ad click here.