Look-down camera in Drive?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tangible, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

My garage is a very tight fit for my Clarity. I like to use the rear-view camera in its look-down mode to see when I’ve gone in far enough. Unfortunately that involves stopping every few inches and going into reverse just to turn the camera on.

What I want is a way to turn it on while creeping forward. Is there a way?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps if you hack the head unit, but no one has reported that capability on this forum AFAIK.

I hauled 3 pickup-truck loads of "project wood" out of my garage when I kicked my 2010 Insight out of the garage in preparation for our larger Clarity. It's still a very tight fit with the garage door being about 6 inches wider than the breadth of the side-view mirrors.

Here's my solution: On the ceiling of our garage I mounted a Chamberlain laser indicator that connects to our Chamberlain garage-door opener. As I pull into the garage I watch the red spot creeping from the base of the windshield towards me across the top of the dashboard. When the spot disappears from the dashboard, I know I can close the garage door behind my Clarity. The side-to-side location of the red spot tells me where I am horizontally.

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Let me offer a tried-and-true (and decidedly low-tech) alternative to the camera or the laser...
    Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling such that when your windshield touches the ball, you are in the right position.

I have done this for many years and it is very effective and accurate.

Valente, insightman and Dan McInerney like this.
  5. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve tried the tennis ball approach before, and I’m not crazy about it walking around the garage when the car isn’t there can cause annoying (but not life-threatening) head bopping. When it’s windy, it sways in the breeze.

The laser pointer is fine, but a hassle to install and calibrate, especially since I’m not in physical condition to clamber onto the hood of the car or climb a ladder.

So I’m still interested in a software solution to getting the camera on. The right-mirror camera can be turned on by pushing the button in the stalk, but the view angle isn’t good.

6. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

I can't help with the camera question, but my solution are wheel stops which allows me to get reliably into the same position day after day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMT2JY9/

EDIT- you can bolt them down, but they are heavy and tend to stay in place, but may need occasional tweaks.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    MrFixit likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Francofun

Francofun Member

Get in your garage in reverse?

9. MrFixit

Well, here is how you can do it, but it is probably way too complicated for your need.

1. Enter the diagnostic menu by simultaneously pressing - Audio (power), Menu, and Brightness on the head unit
    2. Select the bottom button (Detailed Information & Settings...)
    3. Choose "Guideline Setup"
    4. Choose "Read Wide Camera"
    5. Choose "Fixed Guidelines"

You will now have the rear view and it persists if you are in drive, etc.

To exit this mode, just keep pressing the return key on the screen.

Unfortunately, this is probably worse than your current trial-and-error method !

10. iHack

iHack New Member

11. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

@iHack I see this is on a CRV forum. Do you know from experience or reliable reports this works on Clarity?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Tangible

Here are two links to a previous thread about the installation of front facing sensors...there may be more.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/front-sensors-for-distance-warning.8781/

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/front-bumper-sensors.6115/

I have not done this. I just remembered previous thread(s) on this issue.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

insightman likes this.
  14. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Hello, I have installed Honda Hack on my Clarity's head unit and I programmed one of the steering wheel butons to show the rear camera on demand. Press a button to turn it on, press the button again to turn it off. I wouldn't say it's worth $25 by itself, but it is a nice-to-have feature considering all of the other benefits of installing the hack.

15. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Can you then switch among the three camera views using the touchscreen as you do in Reverse!

16. MrFixit

Pooky -
    Do you have a Touring Clarity?
    I am curious whether Honda Hack can address the ridiculous "Distracted Driver" function that prevents keyboard entry into the navigation system while moving?

17. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Unless there is a hidden setting that I have not activated, no. It defaults to the middle "V" camera view with no on-screen option to switch between them.

EDIT: Here are some photos of what I mean.

When in reverse:
    upload_2020-8-5_10-13-51.png

When using the camera hack:
    upload_2020-8-5_10-14-5.png

Tapping on the screen or using the MENU button yielded no camera view options.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  18. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

I do have a Touring; I will investigate that and get back to you.

19. MrFixit

Thanks !
    I posed the question to Honda Hack, and he said this: "It should work if you install google keyboard"
    I assume he meant using Honda Hack to facilitate installation of Google Keyboard, but I haven't done the hack yet so couldn't readily try.

20. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

I just tested it and the hack does allow you to type addresses etc. while in motion. You just need to make sure that Fake Parking Status is ticked and you should be able to type without installing a Google Keyboard or anything like that (notice how it's not a Pro feature if you don't want to buy the full thing).

upload_2020-8-5_10-15-48.png

21. MrFixit

Excellent !
    I have been hesitant to do the Hack, but this probably tips the scales for me.
    I'm not too worried about the risk of bricking or otherwise messing something up because this is really my only reason right now... It's just if there is a failure during the warranty period, will the dealer find this and refuse to cooperate? Life is not without risk though...
    Thanks for the rapid feedback !

22. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Under the App management section of the hack, there is a button that will hide the Honda Hack (explicitly for dealerships) until you reactivate it using the website. It doesn't uninstall it, but it wipes any visual trace of it from the menu screens.
    I should note that when I used it for my recent dealership visit, the "dealership mode" had the odd side-effect of making my music silent. All of the normal beeps and bleeps of the infotainment system were still there, but my music would not make any sound neither through Bluetooth nor Android Auto. All returned to normal after re-enabling it, however.

23. MrFixit

Sounds like a good feature...
    Just to be certain (you mentioned Android Auto in passing)... When you did the test a minute ago, I assume you were using the built-in Nav system (not Android Auto)?