Live Trip Routing w/ electrified App and ABRP

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fizzit, Feb 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I haven't seen mention of this on the forum, and I thought it was pretty cool when I read about it so I thought I'd share with you all in case anyone else is interested in this functionality.

The Android app "electrified" can talk to an OBDII bluetooth adapter and get real-time battery SoC, power consumption, temperature, and speed from our cars. In turn, it can send this data to the "A Better Route Planner" app, which can use it to route you to chargers along your route in real time, like Teslas can w/ their in-car routing. This is something I was really excited about when they announced it as an Apple Maps feature in 2020, but there's been no sign of it since so I'm glad I still have my Android phone.

I haven't tried it out while driving yet but the results look promising in my driveway, using my Galaxy S10e with a Vgate iCar Pro OBD bluetooth adapter. The battery amp-hour meter in electrified seems wrong but hopefully the other categories are correct, or at least power and SoC.

Screenshot_20210210-180848_ABRP.jpg Screenshot_20210210-180702_electrified.jpg Screenshot_20210210-180657_electrified.jpg
    I was glad to see it reports a 100% SoH for my battery!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Apple has released the EV routing with iOS 14, but it requires each EV app to implement callback functionality. It's a crafty way for Apple to do this; they basically query each app for the range info instead of having to know anything about specific EVs. I'm really hoping the new MINI app, supposedly coming in March, supports the hooks.

It doesn't look like there's an equivalent OBD II app setup for ABRP on iOS, which is unfortunate.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Yeah, and I'm beginning to think the automakers will be crafty as well and use it as a feature to sell their new EVs. So while it would be nice to have it in the new app, I'm not expecting or holding out for it to show up for those of us who already gave MINI our money.

I just took a test drive with electrify and ABRP and while I experienced some bugginess with ABRP, overall it was great! It was cool to see it calibrate the reference consumption based on my driving.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I sent a message to the EV Puzzle guy Nigel on YouTube. He posted the new MINI app video a month ago, but he is on Android. I'm hoping he knows someone using IOS 14 over there who can check settings to see if the MINI is selectable in Apple maps or not.

EDIT: No luck - he does not yet know anyone on IOS 14 using the new MINI app.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    fizzit likes this.
  6. Nigel is on this forum now maybe he can chime in

Nigel Warnes and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Please keep us posted on how this works out, there is a guy on YouTube Ben Rolfe just fitted in the passenger side panel a sports display for the ICE Mini from a company called SCP that would be cool if they developed one for the Mini SE to include all the battery data.

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  9. GvilleGuy

I see that ICE version is not even released yet - but very cool. And, apparently, already outdated by the dashboard panel changes for 2022.

10. Nigel Warnes

Nigel Warnes New Member

Yep I've joined up to see if this group is as friendly as I've been told. I'll look into getting hold of an ios 14 device and having a play but with lock down it's a little limiting

AndGuz, insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  11. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

As I mentioned the amp-hour display doesn't seem accurate (unless we're sitting on 27% of unused capacity) but the other numbers do seem to be correct.

Cool, welcome to the forum. How do you have access to the new app?

Nigel Warnes likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Nigel Warnes

Nigel Warnes New Member

I guess the UK has launched the new App earlier than other countries? I'm not on a beta test program or anything.

Its a shame some of the old features aren't in the new app. I alternate which one I use, there's no definitive best for me

14. GvilleGuy

Correct. The rumor is a March release in the USA.

15. I got a reply back from SCP they are considering a SE version of the sports dash in the future.

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That sounds about right to me, MINI has a pretty sizable buffer to prevent overcharging damage. That's why we can charge to 100% instead of worrying about stopping at 80% like Tesla owners.

insightman likes this.
  17. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

So if we have a 96 cell battery, as I've read in a couple places, and 32.6kWh total capacity and 99.9AH, that puts nominal cell voltage at (32600/99.9/96)=3.4V. I'm not aware of any chemistry with a nominal voltage that low that could be charged up to 4.15V, as the electrified display shows. But maybe the pack is overbuilt, and there's buffer capacity even beyond the 32.6kWh that's stated. That would be surprising to have that big of a reserve, but cool. I read one place that our battery is adapted from the i3's 94AH battery which would put nominal cell voltage at 3.6V for 32.6kWh, which seems closer to a more realistic cell voltage for cells with a full-charge voltage of 4.15V.

Edit: The 32.6kWh is what's stated as the full capacity of the SE battery in a few places, with 28.9kWh being usable and the 3.7kWh difference being the "buffer" for longevity.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The i3 uses Samsung batteries vs the MINI Cooper SE's CATL batteries. MINI has said the CATL batteries suffer less cold-weather range-reduction than the i3's Samsung batteries.

19. There is a buffer at both ends discharged and charged, the data shown by the vehicle is what the manufacturer want to show you it is not the battery's min max capacity in reality. I watched a test out of the UK they drove a group of EV's in normal conditions (climate on) from 100% charged to where the vehicle would not drive anymore, the mini covered 154 miles I keep that in the back of my mind when I look at the discharge meter in my Mini.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You're right to track the amount of charge remaining rather than depend on the conservative and highly variable guess-o-meter. Edmunds went 150 miles on a charge and this YouTuber went 177 miles--he speeds up his video to to show you every mile in less than 17 minutes.

I haven't gathered the courage to attempt a true range test with my SE, but I want to try it someday (some warmer day). "Hello, Insightwife? Can you bring the generator? I put it in the back of the Clarity. I'm out of charge near the intersection of Liberty and Zeeb Roads. I brought a book to read."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Lainey, MichaelC and moff1959 like this.
  21. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

quietlyspinach just posted this iOS app that does that same thing as electrified:

https://apps.apple.com/no/app/mi3/id1548538352

I tested it out with my iPhone X and it works great with my vgate Bluetooth adapter. So now we have a solution for live trip routing for both iOS and Android!

AndGuz and MichaelC like this.