Level 1 charger not working!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bill MacDonald, Mar 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My level 1 charger that comes with the car works at my home in BC but doesn’t work at my cabin in Washington State. I tried several plugs but with each one, the charger screen says “Fault” in a red triangle and the picture of the plug glows red instead of green. I’ve owned the cabin for 20 years and never had a problem with any other electrical device. Any thoughts on how to solve this or what’s wrong?

Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My guess, and it's only a guess as I know diddley about electric stuff. The Hyundai cord is smart unlike your standard dumb cords and plugs. You might have a ground fault somwhere on the circuit you're plugging into and the smart cord senses it. Again, my guess. Can you try other outlets/circuits to test it?

EDIT* oops, you did try other circuits. Hmm. We'll I'd still start with the ground and widen my search from there.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  4. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

You might want to buy a GFCI outlet/receptacle tester. They are about $20 and it checks for 7 common wiring errors including a ground fault. The receptable might not be grounded is my hunch.

Wildeyed likes this.
  5. Thanks, I may give that a try. You are probably right about the plugs not being grounded. The cabin and wiring is about 65 years old.

6. I ordered the tester from Harbor Freights online for $4.28 US. Deal!

Esprit1st and CJC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Did you try limiting the current to 8A?

9. I didn’t. I was going to but couldn’t see the button that allows you to make that change.

10. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

It’s on the bottom (other side from the side that lights up) in the middle I think.