July 24 for Tesla 2019 Q2 results

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/73d94988-b817-309f-9089-b082314b2e9a/tesla-to-report-q2-results-on.html

Tesla Inc. said late Thursday it would report second-quarter results on July 24 after markets close. A conference call with analysts to discuss the results with Wall Street analysts will follow at 5:30 p.m. Eastern. . . .

Tesla has a pattern of moving good news forward in time. So this seemed a little strange:

. . . Analysts polled by FactSet expect Tesla to report an adjusted loss of 45 cents a share on sales of $6.6 billion in the quarter, which would compare with an adjusted loss of $3.06 a share on sales of $4 billion in the year-ago period. Tesla shares fell 0.2% in the extended session after ending the regular trading day down 0.1% . . .

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

Something strange is happening to TSLA stock, $245, up from $230 on Wednesday. So far, no explanation from the SHORT analysts.

Bob Wilson

4. Shadrach777

Shadrach777 New Member

I'm liking this upward momentum. I'm hoping it continues upward when Giga 3 comes online and orders start flying off the shelves in China. Seeing how China is the biggest EV market, if sales go well there, it would make sense to build a second factory in China while also building their factory in Europe.

But at what point does one cash in to collect on the profit?

5. bwilson4web

We've been waiting for the "SHORT squeeze." It is when the over extended SHORT position holders and their brokers realize Tesla is solidly profitable.

When the probability of future stock prices decrease, the SHORTs may have to buy TSLA to cover their margin. This in turn increases the price leading to more SHORTs buying TSLA stock to limit their losses. A positive feedback loop is possible with the last man out getting royally screwed.

IMHO, the higher prices of 2018, around $350/share, were due to over subscription by T Rowe Price and other large investors. Then curiously Tesla had two profitable quarters and those investors bailed. The price went down by ~$100/share yet there are reports the SHORTs continued to increase their 'position.' I bought more TSLA too.

When to take profits is a complex problem driven by individual choices managing their finances. The last profits I took were to diversify my holdings with gold mining stock. It worked out quite nicely (ask the IRS.)

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. Shadrach777

Shadrach777 New Member

Even though the stock price may have been overpriced last year, I'm hoping the following things happen and allow the stock price to surge past 2018 prices:
    1. With Giga 3 opening up, the Chinese market for the Model 3 causes the overall sales for Model 3 to double in 2020
    2. Model Y doubling the sales of the Model 3 in 2020
    3. Full Self Driving becoming available to local roads (turns off when entering rural roads)
    I'm uncertain of the Tesla Truck at this point, especially with not knowing how the Rivian truck will compare to the Tesla. I'm leaning towards 1st quarter 2021 to sell; not because I don't think Tesla will go up anymore, but at some point I have to sell if I want to see the profits realized.

7. To remove this ad click here.