Is the backup sensor worth it?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by stockae92, Oct 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. stockae92

stockae92 New Member

I got a quote for backup sensor and it would cost $775 in install at the dealer.

I wonder if its worth it?

I would love to have front parking sensor too but too bad its not an option.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

With a back up camera, why do you want a backup sensor?

qtpie likes this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

No.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I had the dealer add the back-up sensor. As @stacey burke implied, it's sort of redundant, but you don't have to learn what the lines in the rear-camera view mean because when the sensor's beeping turns into a continuous tone, you know for sure it's time to stop backing up. Also, if, for some reason, you are backing up using just your mirrors, the sensor might detect something or someone you didn't see. An outlay of $775 is worth it if it keeps you from hitting a pedestrian or a kid on a trike.

6. atlgwinnett

atlgwinnett New Member

I installed the sensors myself a couple of weeks ago. Installation of the wiring harness is a real pain, so I understand the dealer cost to install. I did it at the same time as I installed a trailer hitch to be used for a bike rack. I did not install trailer wiring since I don't plan on pulling anything. I have mixed feelings on the usefulness of the backup sensors. If the Clarity had a camera that could sense distance (Phase shift pixels or similar technology), and had some decent image processing software, the backup sensors would be redundant. It doesn't. Where I work, the parking garage has the walls painted white, and you can't tell distance in the camera until the car shakes when it hits the wall. This morning, as I pulled into the garage, the driver of car in front of me did not have valid ID to open the gate. I had to back up to let him out of the garage. While I was doing this, a pedestrian ran about a foot behind my car. I was concentrating on the car in front of me, the concrete walls to each side and heard the sensors beep loudly. Did the backup sensors help? I don't know.

I do think the answer to "Why do you need backup sensors when you have a camera?" is the same answer to "Why do you need Automated Emergency Braking?" Drivers get distracted.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Evfred

Evfred Member

I did go for the option and would say 100% yes. Compared to my old volt with only a backup camera parking the much larger Clarity is much easier because of the sensors.

9. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

Let me say this. You had dynamic lines you can use with the backup camera. The lines on each side is the width of the car including the outside mirrors. The 3 lines show the distance at 6ft 3ft and the dashed line is the bumper. With them it shows you the exact area the car will back up into and the distance from any object behind you. That to me is much better than a beep...

Kerbe and MPower like this.