Is Tesla Trustworthy, or Are They Just Becoming Another Large Profit Driven Company?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Danhen, Jun 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

First sentence from article:

"Tesla could be forced to pay ..."

I stopped reading after this text in the first sentence.

Bob Wilson

3. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

So you don't think Tesla secretly doing something like this is a problem? Sure, they may have had good reason to make the software change they did, but they also had to know the average owner would not be happy about the decreased range and increased charging times.

They could have been more transparent about the changes they were making but chose not to. If I were one of the affected owners, I would definitely be unhappy about it.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It isn’t so secret as not handing a lawyer something to sue Tesla about. I remember that time and there were three camps:
    1. I want money - even though it meant their car lasted longer and avoided a warranty battery replacement.
    2. THANKS! - those who want to keep their cars as long as possible.
    3. Huh? - most didn’t care since Tesla engineering thinks it is a good idea.
    After +2 years of Model 3 ownership with dozens of updates, I have a better car than when new. Someday Tesla may offer the ability to select an older version with an appropriate safety and warranty disclaimer. But that is not today.

Bob Wilson

5. Shark

Shark Active Member

The fact that other updates increased range (which they didn't choose to keep a secret) does not make the lack of transparency here right.

It's no different than the dilemma BMW has been faced with on some of their engines. It's well documented the software used to qualify these cars for EPA mileage ratings saves fuel as it tends to charge the (12 volt) battery mostly when coasting. If you are a driver who does not do a lot of coasting, your battery often does not get a full charge, which means those cars eat batteries.

BMW could fix the issue by changing the software to do a better job of keeping the batteries fully charged, but that would be to the detriment of fuel mileage, which as you pointed out would open the door to a class action suit.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member