Is anyone still waiting to buy a new Kona EV?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Jun 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

This past week I've been surprised to read that some folks just can't find a Kona EV to buy either due to ridiculous West Coast markup over MSRP or no availability. For those folks (I'm curious), have you considered buying one from an East Coast dealership & have them ship it to you? A quick search in my area shows 17 Kona EV's across all trim levels & colors available within 100 miles. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around claims of scarcity?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can't speak for the US market but my experience from contacting many dealers nationwide in Canada is that the bulk of these online search available cars are actually phantom vehicles, meaning dealers will post them as available but when you actually inquire they are mysteriously just sold and you should just come down to order one. Alternatively they may advertise a demo vehicle without any actual intention to sell them but rather to use it as a test drive vehicle to induce an order. I have even seen ads with actual VIN numbers implying that these cars actually exist to be only told that they don't.
    I am not saying there may not be a few unsold Kona's around but I don't believe they are as plentiful as you suspect they are.

SkookumPete, Jared Potter and R P like this.
  4. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Oh, interesting... At least here in MA, the couple dealerships I called about on-line vehicles actually had them in stock & were ready to sell them. I'm so not a fan of the shady tactics some dealerships use.