Ioniq 5 72kwh AWD 130km range test

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by iluvscuba, Jun 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Just saw this on YT

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just saw it as well. Very disappointed in the range/power consumption.

4. I agree but you've got to admit it was a preposterous test. I really think we need to wait for a preponderance of evidence before drawing any firm conclusions. It seems odd to me that Hyundai would somehow go from leading in efficiency with the Kona to sinking to the bottom of the barrel with a newer EV.

5. Not really sure how to interpret it, myself. That test is under nearly worst case conditions (He was driving very fast, pure highway, in variable intensity rain, in cool weather. It would only really be worse if it was properly cold). The Norwegian test that has been reported was nearly best case (including 19" wheels instead of 20". Both are on the international battery (us US folk can probably expect ~6-7% better range)

I'm suffering from a wee bit of range anxiety because of this, but rational brain says to wait until we have more data, and that more realistic driving situations will probably do much better (IE: he was driving around 80mph or so. I don't often exceed 70 for very long, and usually I'm going more like 65). More data required. Much much much more data required :p

Jamas likes this.
  6. I hope you’re right. Because from the videos I’ve seen, I really like the car so far.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. His series on the Kona EV is what helped me decide to purchase one. As the charging infrastructure increases, range anxiety will be lessened.

9. NRH

NRH Active Member

80 mph is a huge range killer. Even going from 70 to 75, we lose over 10% on energy efficiency with our Kona. I'd bet that you could lose 25% range traveling at 80 instead of 70. Wind resistance increases as the square of speed, right?