I guess now I’m a naked guinea pig!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Jul 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Most here probably know I’ve made the case against extended warranties, though in some cases they can make sense. In short, I never buy them, and as such I have substantial amount “in the bank”, so to speak, to cover some future out-of-warranty repair.

Well, as of July 4 we’re now officially “naked” on our 2018 Clarity, except for the extra battery coverage...

[​IMG]

First time I'm feeing just a tad nervous about it. I'm fully aware of how expensive needed repairs can be out of warranty. And let me say now that 3 years/36,000 miles is a pretty chintzy standard warranty from Honda. And as a data point, zero mechanical problems over the first 1 1/2 years and 36,000 miles.

Our last new car purchase was a 2005 Honda Element*, and an extended warranty on that would have been a total waste. I hope we'll be able to say the same on our Clarity - fingers crossed!

*Which we still have and which is valiantly soldiering on with well over 200,000 miles!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Glad to see you were going a "safe" speed when you took the photo !!
    Some may have been motoring down the road at 70 MPH and not bothered to pull over.

4. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

You actually have to factor in the money you didn't spend on the Element as well as the money you didn't spend on the Clarity if there is ever a repair needed.
    If you want to "self-insure", put the extended warranty money into a separate account to be used only for repairs. Every time you get a new vehicle, add the extended warranty money from that as well. It is extremely likely that you will come out ahead in the long run. The companies selling these policies certainly do (even after paying the dealer an often significant percentage).

insightman and JFon101231 like this.
  5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Well powertrain is 5yr/60k not just extended on battery so I wouldn't call it naked per se...

But I'm with you extended warranties are a huge profit generator for everyone but the customer especially if you do your own repairs (or use a trusted independent shop which also typically have lower hourly rates)

6. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

What state do you live in? There is extended coverage for us Z-state owners

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2018_Honda_Clarity_PHEV_-_EWPL_APL06769.pdf

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tennessee, as of March 1 of this year. Unfortunately not on the list.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Wow, never realized that, good info to have (CT here).

10. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I'm in warranty and plan to install a hitch for bike rack

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I have had a hitch for back rack since almost new. When I took it in for annual inspection, the dealer asked how it tows... (but I have not towed with it)