Hyundai Quietly Changes Battery Warranty

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by 556x24, Nov 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 556x24

556x24 New Member

I was watching a recent video about the Kona electric and the presenter made a comment about the Kona battery having a limited warranty. This got me to questioning my own memory because when I purchased my Kona EV new in March 2019 I was fairly certain the battery warranty was advertised as "Lifetime".

Well, today I compared my original window sticker (excellent reason to have kept it) to a new 2020 model. On my original (March 2019) it states in large bold letters at the top right corner: "Exclusive Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty"!

On a brand new 2019 currently at the local dealership the window sticker no longer has the bold warranty statement in the upper right corner, but in the "Standard Features" section under "Warranty" does state: "Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty".

On a brand new 2020 listed as en route to the dealer the window sticker no longer has any battery warranty claim in the upper right, and over under "Standard Features" under "Warranty" it reads: "10 year/100,000-mile Electric Vehicle Battery Warranty".

So far I haven not found any reports on the internet about battery problems with the Kona electric, large or small, so this sudden reduction in first, boldly stated warranty, to only in the normal print, and now a stated limitation to only 100,000 miles seems like Hyundai knows something they aren't telling, or maybe they just threw out the "Lifetime" warranty on the first "batch" to get influence early adopters to buy.

I realize of course that batteries degrade over time and lose charge capacity, but if one considers just what that 100,000 mile "cap" means, consider it analogous to a gasoline powered car starting out with a 19 gallon tank, reducing to say, 15 gallons capacity over some number of years and/or miles, then at 100,000 miles it completely clogs up and cannot hold any fuel rendering the car useless. While we can debate about the longevity of ICE cars systems versus electric, there are millions of ICE cars on the road this very day with well over 100,000 miles on the clock still running strong, still capable of holding 19 gallons of gasoline! So while I bought into the electric with understanding I would probably lose some capacity and current delivery over time, I certainly never intended to buy an electric car that COULD....I say COULD be rendered completely inoperable at 100,000 miles by battery failure with manufacturer support being a lame, "Well, you screwed up! You trusted us!"

The major reason I waited for Hyundai to bring the Kona electric to market before buying was because I knew/know they are/were serious about honoring their warranty as a means of gaining consumer trust and confidence. Granted my original window sticker does SEEM to keep Hyundai on the hook for "Lifetime" coverage if and when the battery become useless (which may have to be adjudicated by arbitration, but at least it's better than having nothing after another 88,000 miles on the odometer).

I can only wonder how further sales will be affected as the word gets out that everyone buying a Kona electric (or other models) could indeed end up with a non-moving electric car if the battery decides to fail just after the 100,000 mile and 10 year point? Granted, in 10 years I fully expect battery technology to have moved so far forward that others and myself will WANT to upgrade to newer batteries at a reasonable cost - that cost having come WAY down with newer tech, time, and more electrics in the world, but I would not have bought the Kona electric or any electric car with a 100,000 mile warranty cap on the battery - which I did not, and I doubt many others will as the MEANING implicit in the "new" stated warranty gets around.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, all other cars & manufacturers have a 100k/10year warranty and they still sell BEVs. So I don't think it's going to make a big impact. However I'm glad of course that I have the lifetime warranty.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Mattsburgh likes this.
  4. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

this lifetime warranty only applied in the US, anyway.

canada warranty has always been 8 year/160000 km

5. Did you use that same logic for ICE cars that have 60,000 mile powertrain warranty? Do you worry after 60,000 they won't work?

SkookumPete likes this.
  6. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

The difference is with preventative maintenance the ICE car retains resale value. Would you buy a used EV knowing it's battery has 60,000 miles on it?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I guess I would if the price was right or a replacement battery was available at a reasonable cost. Judging by the Nissan's behaviour one should probably expect an EV to be throwaway after its originally battery is done. I truly hope that is not the case for the Kona.

9. victor_2019

Teslas show virtually no battery degradation.

The problem with the Nissan leaf is a problem with the leaf design, not with EVs in general.

And as far as buying a used EV, there are always ways of verifying the battery health, either with an obd2 scanner or by going to the dealer.

eastpole and ehatch like this.
  10. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

On a positive note, with competition ramping up I'll bet we see innovation in battery design and ease of replacement in the next few years that will greatly enhance the prospects for long term ownership/resale value for these vehicles. Kind of exciting times we live in, an historic transition period for transportation.

apu likes this.
  11. DelRider

DelRider Member

Our second EV is a used Volkswagen E-Golf. Battery health was a concern at time of purchase. I looked around for cost to replace the main battery, should worst come to worst, and was astonished by the reported cost: well more than I paid for it (> $10K). Effectively, a perfectly clean and functional vehicle in all aspects, battery aside, could be scrapper-food if the battery failed out of warranty or warranty was denied. I think cost of battery replacement sets EVs apart from ICE vehicles when considering their long-term desirability in relation to major power train failures. Belts/heads/cams etc can be replaced relatively cheaply and easily. A battery replacement could be a complete financial deal breaker. Hence, quality of warranty is very important IMHO.

All that said, I really don't worry about it. If electronics are going to fail, they're likely going to fail early on. If your battery goes two years, with proper care it'll probably go 20 with some degradation. By that time we'll all either be in new EV's with better technology and/or more cost effective battery replacements (possibly from old reclaimed vehicles) will probably be a 'thing'. A more important concern may be the state of battery recycling. If anyone is driving an EV for green reasons, seeing your former battery chucked into a landfill may not align with your core principles.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. victor_2019

A new combustion engine from the manufacturer plus labour to swap it at the dealer will also run you 10000...

14. DelRider

DelRider Member

There are a myriad of options that can be considered before a full engine swap is needed. Parts such as I listed above. Batteries, not so much.

15. victor_2019

If a component like a BMS or OBC fails you replace that component, not the whole battery.

Replacing the entire battery is similar to replacing a blown engine.

And even then, there are things like battery rebuild kits and you can replace only the failed cells, see YouTube videos on Prius battery rebuild kits.

Electric components like batteries and motors are in general a lot more reliable than mechanical components.

There are plenty of old EVs around already, Nissan Leafs and Toyota Prius have been around for a while, and batteries have not catastrophically failed when old. And as I said, the only cars with significant battery degradation are Nissan Leafs, because of lack of battery cooling.

Cars with proper thermal management do not have the same problem.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/amp/

16. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

By the time that's necessary chances are the car is scrap, unless it's a classic in which case you'd call it restoration.

17. victor_2019

Or a BMW

Or a Hyundai, or any other car with engine problems.

It's not like engines don't catastrophically fail from time to time...

18. For some perspective if you had to buy a replacement new traction battery for a Kona today it would set you back a little north of $32,000 plus the labor.

19. A fire sale compared to this

:eek:

20. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

If this is a serious worry for you, I suggest you plan to trade in the car before the battery warranty expires. Problem solved.

Suggesting Hyundai has changed their terms because they "know something" comes across as a bit paranoid. And as already pointed out, the lifetime thing was for the U.S. only.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  21. How do you come up with that number? If the battery is $30000. The whole rest of the car is only $5000? That's assuming Hyundai doesn't make ANY profit on the car at all.

I doubt that number, and I'm not even trying to come up with an actual number.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  22. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Fair enough, although it's pretty rare. Electric motors will probably fail also, as they become time tested.
    Just a reminder, we've only been talking about the battery. In an ICE car that would be the equivalent of the fuel tank.
    I hope we see the day when the batteries can be inexpensively reconditioned and easily installed.

23. Well there are a couple of ways you can come with that number. You can ask your dealer or you can just google it yourself.
    https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-battery-system-assy~37501-k4000.html?Make=Hyundai&Model=Kona+Electric&Year=2019&Submodel=&Filter=(01=W5;02=ZG;03=Z;04=7;05=Z;DT=L;WT=2)&Location=motor/high_voltage_battery_system,,37501

I'm sure this is not your first rodeo owning a vehicle or buying parts. The price of parts have never had a linear correlation to the actual price or value of the vehicle they represent, so I am not sure why you are particularly doubtful in this case.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    DelRider likes this.