Hyundai Kona on Board Charger

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jamie McWilliam, Nov 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jamie McWilliam

Jamie McWilliam New Member

Hi there, I’m wondering if anyone has any information about the on board charger for the Kona?

I recently bought one and I’m curious about how it’s made up.

Am I right in saying that the on board charger is made up of three 3.5kW chargers, basically one for each phase of using a 3phase supply?

the reason I ask is I wondered if you had a 45A supply, could you potentially supply 3 individual supplies (of the same phase) to the input of the 3 phase charger?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Someone would have to dig up the technical manual (though it might not be detailed enough to tell), or evne tear one down to know for sure.

I would guess, though, that to reduce part count, weight, volume and cost, the incoming 3ph AC is converted to DC first before going to a high frequency boost unit, just like in most other applications like VFDs. The other benefit to this strategy being it would work fine for both single and 3-phase input.

4. Your location? The 11 kW OBC is available in Europe only.
    The answer is definitely not, as the 3 phase L to L sine wave inputs are offset by 120 degrees. in addition, there have been problems with it:
    https://myenergi.com/kona/
    There is a label on the unit itself that will tell you the ratings, just pull the plastic cover off and you will see it;)

mho likes this.
  5. Jamie McWilliam

Jamie McWilliam New Member

thanks for getting back to me on this.

yeah, I’m in the UK.

I had thought that if they were three separate chargers, then the input wouldn’t have made any difference as the output would be the same.

I’m going to have a look under the plastic cover, I’ve not done too much investigating yet!

6. Details from the MyEnergy failure description is that in normal operation 2 of the 3 phases are shorted in single phase mode just to obtain the 7.4 kW. So, perhaps it's possible to do as you say. But it would also be puzzling as to why Hyundai simply didn't do that themselves.

7. To remove this ad click here.