HV Range not changing

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tim66, Feb 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

I filled the car (Honda Clarity Touring ) with gas 3 weeks ago and the HV range indicated 255 miles. Today, with 1/2 tank of gas used (according to the bars on the right side of the display) I still have 255 mile range. Anyone else experienced this? Any DIY fix? I've had the car since 12/05 and if I have to take it in for this problem it will be my 5th service call. Not happy about that.

Tim

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How new is your Clarity? What were the reasons for your 4 service visits? Did you get the HV range fix installed during one of them? I'd be interested to see what happens to your HV range if you continue driving with HV engaged to keep the ICE using gas.

4. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

The Clarity is a 2018 model that I purchased December 5th. The service calls were for the water temp fix, the PCM software update, display update mileage and TPS error. I have been driving intentionally using the ICE to see if the HV range would drop and it hasn't. As I said I'm down about a half of a tank of gas based on the bars on the HV side (what I would expect using the ICE as much as i have) and the HV range hasn't budged off of 255 miles.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Tim, was the “display update milage” the SB 18-069? And if it was, did you ever see the HV range go down after the update?
    I’m asking because some have posted that their dealer did the HV range update and it didn’t complete and their HV range kept going up with every fill up. They had to go back and have it properly updated. Trying to see ignorance that happens to you. if you fuel up and the HV range estimate goes up to unreasonable values then the SB 18-069 did not get done.
    Ken

Domenick likes this.
  6. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

The range has not gone up at all. It just isn't dropping. I've filled the car up (actually topped it up) maybe three times. I don't think the range has ever been over 255 or so. I've read the post where people were getting ridiculously high ranges but I believe that happened months before my car was sold.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

The real test will be what it does after you fill up now. Let us know.

9. KentuckyKen

If it won’t drop no matter what then you might try doing a hard reset by disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes. Some times that can get rid of an electronic “hiccup”.

Post #4 above: “ignorance that happens” is supposed to be “if that happened”. My typing was so bad that spell check mangled it.

ken wells and ClarityDoc like this.
  10. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Thanks Ken. I thought you might be aware of my "ignorance" about the car :) I'll let you know after I fill it up. I did send an email to my service tech but no reply yet. I'm sure the reply will be bring it in.
    Tim

11. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Ok, put 5 gal of gas in the tank and still have 255 miles of HV range. The HV bars on the right side did climb back to the full level after about 10 minutes of driving. But two days later the HV range is still stuck on 255 miles.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Reading 255 miles of remaining HV range when you were down to 2 gallons proves something's wrong. The only thing you could try is the 12v battery disconnect reboot (the negative terminal). That's probably what the dealer's service department will try first if you take it to them.

The next thing the dealer should try is reinstalling the HV range fix to see if the first attempt caused your problem. If you bring your Clarity in with a full tank of gas, the HV range fix should jump the HV range to exactly 357 miles.

14. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

I scheduled a dealer visit for next week. I'll try the battery reset today. Do you lose your HondaLink registration when the battery is disconnected?

15. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

OK! Disconnected the 12 V battery for 1 minute and reconnected. HV range went from 255 to 357 and EV range is 40. The EV range is the highest I've had since purchasing the car 12/05. We'll see what happens over the next several days. Thanks for all the input.

Tim

ken wells likes this.
  16. KentuckyKen

357 is the common number many have reported after the update. I would speculate that when yours was done, it wasn’t completed and the hard reset took care of it.
    I predict success. Let us know.

The EV range is only an estimate and with the reset it hasn’t got a lot of past history to go on. It won’t be accurate until at least one driving/charge cycle.

17. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

I am having the exact same issue that Tim66 reported with HV range. It is a 2018 base model. Manufactured 0ct'18. Bought just a week ago. Sales guy said they installed all the SBs but I highly suspect. There was no way for me to check as Service was closed on the day I bought it.
    Fuel showed 3/4 full. HV range was down to 291 miles. I filled up the tank today and it is still stuck at 291 even after I drove it around. Fuel gauge shows full tank.
    Should I first go to the dealer and have them install or "reinstall" the SBs? or should I try to the battery disconnect? Pls advice.

18. KentuckyKen

Is be inclined to do the battery disconnect hard reset over the weekend. Might save you a trip to the dealer and if it doesn’t work then no harm done and it’s back to the dealer to get the updates successfully done.

19. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

I agree with Ken. The battery disconnect worked for me. Took all of 5 minutes. The bolt on the negative post clamp is 10 mm. Hardest part of the job was finding the under hood latch. :)

Tim

MPower and ClarityDoc like this.