Hot weather

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by Jim Nelson, Jun 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson New Member

We are driving north from LA to Portland next week [via CA99] and it will be 110 in the Central Valley. Has anyone driven the Recharge in extreme heat and how was the range affected? We love the car around town - this will be the first long trip.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don't have a Recharge but I have driven my Hyundai Kona up the 99 to Eugene in August in similar weather with no problems or loss of range due to the heat. I would expect the Recharge to be similar I would also note that CalTrans has installed several free DCFC at rest stops and CalTrans yards along the way.

4. Hdtvkeith

Hdtvkeith New Member

As the temps here in ATL creep up I am seeing a loss in efficiency likely due to the AC running more, also could be the car using more energy to keep the battery pack at optimal temps as well.

5. John Kim

John Kim Member

My AC died in middle of trip (600 miles round ) to eastern Washington state, and driving in high speed with window down in 95 degree was just terrible. Volvo XC40 recharge (700 miles on the car and already had 3 major issues) is typical Volvo unreliable, it drove and charged fine except for AC in this case. Ended up unable to finish trip because it was just unbearable to drive in hot weather without AC. Portland area been hitting 100 degree or more, good luck.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson New Member

More;
    it was 110 plus for most of the trip with bad traffic. Car was great to Sacrament [from LA]. Then the ac disappeared, lane assist and blind spot, bluetooth, cruise control - all gone. No fan. Three + hours to Redding in 110 heat was sure fun. In Portland now [6/26] and nothing has come back so to a dealer on Monday. Everything crapped out after an Electrify America charge to 90%. The car charged well and drove beautifully. What was usually a 10 hour gas powered drive took 13. Driving with windows open because of nom ac made range estimation irrelevant.

And finally: The car is fixed [7/2] thanks to Jim Fisher Volvo in Portland. The service I got there was superb so a shout out to them and their service department. The problem was corrupt software. We got the car just in time for the 115 weather blast and for a 1000 mile trip down I5 to Los Angeles and had no problems at all; the car performed beautifully. With stops for charging, we found our trips took about 25-33% longer, but we were more rested with the more leisurely schedule [we're in our early 70s]. The percent battery remaining in maps in the central display was very accurate.
    We met two Lucid cars out for a test drive - 500 mile range! One can dream

SaveShare
    Reply Quote

7. To remove this ad click here.