Hot Weather Performance

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Jun 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The summer heat set in a bit early, so I got to see how the SE performs in extreme heat. The answer is, extremely well. At a temperature breaking 100 ºF and the air conditioning running at full tilt there was very little drop in range. And the beauty of an EV is I didn't have to worry about the vehicle overheating! Pulled into the garage and the hood was as cool as if I hadn't been driving.

Here's a photo showing conditions as I started my 40-mile drive:

sehot.jpg

And here are the eDrive results after the trip. 4.5 mi/kWh is about the highest I ever see on my freeway commute, even though the efficiency was a lot lower than usual for me. Note there was 44% SoC left after 82 miles. According to the GOM I could have gone a total of 129 miles before running out of charge. Not bad for triple-digit temperature. I consider it good if the GOM shows better than one mile per % SoC.

IMG_3787.PNG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Cool! I've been curious about how much the AC diminishes range. It's never that hot here but it's always hot enough to use the AC.

Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The other cool thing about a BEV's air-conditioner is that it doesn't impair the car's acceleration (a happy fact I noted while driving around today). In some of my old ICE-powered cars I could feel the difference when the A/C exacted its tribute.

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Good to hear. New Mexico summers can get pretty hot (but not Arizona hot, jeez), and I've been wondering how it fares over 100F.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Did you see the forecast for next week? Looks to be well over 100 ºF all week in Albuquerque!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sucks! But I still played volleyball outside for 4 hours today :D

9. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a great bonus. It is due to the fact that the A/C compressor is direct-drive with its own motor, rather than attached to the drivetrain via a belt.

I had a friend with an underpowered Civic. When he needed a little more speed, he'd turn off the A/C. He referred to it as his "turbo button". You could literally feel the kick when he did that.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

My 1993 Honda Civic was like that! Whenever I needed to punch the stick shift, I'd turn off the A/C.

Lainey likes this.
  11. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Just another data point - I just finished driving 30 miles, round trip (60 miles total) through LA traffic in 90 degree weather with the AC running the entire time set to 71F. It was a mixture of freeways going about 70mph and surface streets that traverse some small hills. I started at 100% and when I got home it was at 60%.

So 40% charge to do 60 miles. 150 mile range! This car loves warm weather!

CsD, Texas22Step, NewGreen and 3 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.